Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching here and around for an answer but can't find anything, just hints and tips. Here's my situation:

I got this turbo kit => fastwayracer.com/Forced-Induction-Turbo-Kits/c1_3/p2931/88-00-Honda-Civic-D15/D16-T3/T4-Ram-Horn-Turbo-Kit/product_info.html and it says I only need to update the Fuel Pump if I'm going above 15psi. The FPR that came with the kit doesn't seem to fit in the rail (OEM).

• I've read here that stock FPR works better and I should stay away from ebay and aem brands.
  • Somewhere around here I read that stock fuel pump is ok for <=10psi.

• Also read that running a larger fuel pump with a factory FPR will increase the base fuel pressure, so when you increase fuel pressure you are mechanically making the size of your injectors larger... but I also got 750 CC injectors... so...

Do I need to install a new fuel pump ( I guess walbro 255 according to this forum?) and/or the FPR?

I'm aiming at 8-10 psi, I have a GEM IM and Denso RDX 750CC injectors.

Attachments

• 142 KB Views: 292
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    111.9 KB Views: 128
  • 138.5 KB Views: 273
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    140.2 KB Views: 386

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
First of all you need to figure out your power goal, and not worry about PSI.

Anytime you go forced inducted, a high flow fuel pump is a must. Walbro 190 or 255 will work but it will raise the fuel pressure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all you need to figure out your power goal, and not worry about PSI.

Anytime you go forced inducted, a high flow fuel pump is a must. Walbro 190 or 255 will work but it will raise the fuel pressure
Gotcha, so it's better to get the pump.

I'm aiming to get around 300-330HP in the short term, +400 in the long term. Which type of fuel pump should I order, a LP or HP?

also, which part number is it? I've seen different part numbers like:
summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gca3366-2/overview/year/1995/make/honda/model/civic

amazon.com/WALBRO-255LPH-PRESSURE-GSS342-Authentic/dp/B0098MC3GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495824141&sr=8-1&keywords=walbro+fuel+pump

maperformance.com/products/walbro-specific-upgraded-fuel-pump-honda-civic-92-00

go-autoworks-store.com/wa25hppuongs.html
go-autoworks-store.com/wa25hpgsfupu.html

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
The stock pumps I've tested in-house at work, the 90-93 Integra and 88-91 Civic pumps are 110-115LPH @ 40psi and the later model pumps, 92-00 Civic and 94-01 Integras are 90LPH.

Remember, when you add boost, the fuel system pressure is going to increase, and those same pumps flow even less:

DA/EF - 90LPH @ 50psi & 75LPH @ 60psi
EG/DC - 80LPH @ 50psi & 70LPH @ 60psi

70LPH will barely feed enough fuel for 290cc/min injectors.

You also have to consider that SAE testing for pump outflow is at 13.5v, but many of you will find with the stock wiring that you are only seeing about 12.0-12.5v at the pump assembly connector. Every half volt is worth a pretty significant % of flow.

I would strongly suggest a higher flowing pump. We have a 165LPH pump that should be good for ~350hp boosted on pump gas; it's what I run in the Tape-R to feed the Surge Tank.

As for the OE FPR, I don't know that we've tested one vs one of our high flow pumps. Might be an experiment worth doing soon. I have several lying around my personal shop and at work we have several examples that came with our mock-up intake manifolds and rails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock pumps I've test in-house at work, the 90-93 Integra and 88-91 Civic pumps are 110-115LPH @ 40psi and the later model pumps, 92-00 Civic and 94-01 Integras are 90LPH.

Remember, when you add boost, the fuel system pressure is going to increase, and those same pumps flow even less:

DA/EF - 90LPH @ 50psi & 75LPH @ 60psi
EG/DC - 80LPH @ 50psi & 70LPH @ 60psi

70LPH will barely feed enough fuel for 290cc/min injectors.

You also have to consider that SAE testing for pump outflow is at 13.5v, but many of you will find with the stock wiring that you are only seeing about 12.0-12.5v at the pump assembly connector. Every half volt is worth a pretty significant % of flow.

I would strongly suggest a higher flowing pump. We have a 165LPH pump that should be good for ~350hp boosted on pump gas; it's what I run in the Tape-R to feed the Surge Tank.

As for the OE FPR, I don't know that we've tested one vs one of our high flow pumps. Might be an experiment worth doing soon. I have several lying around my personal shop and at work we have several examples that came with our mock-up intake manifolds and rails.

very nice, thanks a lot! :bowdown:

This is what I'm getting then:

maperformance.com/products/walbro-specific-upgraded-fuel-pump-honda-civic-92-00

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
i saw 63psi base on the stock fpr and the dw300. with the old one .035" drill bit mod it dropped to 38.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/regulator/

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
That's not a bad idea, could try to see what mods could be done to bring it back to spec.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
regardless of what fuel setup you go with, wiring the fuel pump with new power wire and a relay triggered off the oem wire should be done. hell, a fully stock civic will enjoy it

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
regardless of what fuel setup you go with, wiring the fuel pump with new power wire and a relay triggered off the oem wire should be done. hell, a fully stock civic will enjoy it
Very true, as old as the wiring is in most of our cars, that is a great maintenance update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very true, as old as the wiring is in most of our cars, that is a great maintenance update.

Definitely made a big difference for me adding a relay!
could you please elaborate more on the relay?

- a relay triggered off the oem wire (never heard of this)
- adding a relay (new OEM relay? different brand/specs?)

thanks!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
yep, that exact one. could be done with any automotive relay but im lazy as hell, hate wiring, and was picking up a dw300 pump anyway!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
39 bucks for that is a fucking scam.

relay and wiring can be sourced at local prices under $20 and under $10 if on ebay, and that is with a real bosch relay and not a china junk relay

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Easy there, brochacho. Tell us how you really feel.

Reactions: AJAY
1 - 16 of 16 Posts