Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i have to do to wire vtec in my 93 dx, z6 swap. i've been checking forums and searching, but some say it's plug'n'play, i'm not so sure... the factory harness is supposed to be wired for vtec, and i'm using the ex engine harness which is vtec. i compared the canon plugs on my dx factory harness to the ex factory harness, it looks like there are a few wires that may need to be added... can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
466 Posts
i have a harness and it has the v-tec wired into it.....the v-tec selenoid wire, knock sensor, and all the a/f and shit......they cost like $70 to get one from www.locashracing.com and mine wouldnt fit for you cause it is in with a obd0 to obd1 harness......so good luck

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
run 2 wires from ECU to the VTEC solenoid, unravel the map sensor wiring from behind the fuel filter, plug it into the TB Z6 map sensor.

C

·
0 Posts
92 hb's non vtec models had the vtec wiring in the cabin not on engine side. You dont have it wired up at all so no vtec

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chris m said:
92 hb's non vtec models had the vtec wiring in the cabin not on engine side. You dont have it wired up at all so no vtec
hey, nice negative rep score, keep it up!

i'm using a vtec engine harness, not the dx engine harness, as i stated in the beginning. the car is prewired for vtec, but i need to add the shit transzex stated.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transzex said:
run 2 wires from ECU to the VTEC solenoid, unravel the map sensor wiring from behind the fuel filter, plug it into the TB Z6 map sensor.
i have to run these straight to the ecu? i can't use the harness? i'll check on the map sensor wiring...

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, i forgot to say i have an entire 95 ex parts car, so i should be able to mooch everything off of it i need. the entire wiring harness is pulled from it and lying next to my car...

i noticed the map sensor difference. on the 93, it's mounted by the fuel filter, on the 95 it's on the throttle body. so, i just un plug from filter location and replug to throttle body. what about the vacuum lines? i moved them around and connected the firewall vacuum lines to intake manifold. should i undo that? are they needed? also, should i use the fuel filter from the 95, since it doesn't have the map sensor there?

and i found the vtec solenoid, but the ex engine harness plugged right up to it, and i don't know where i'd have to run wires unless it was from the canon plug to the ecu. if that's the case, maybe i could pull the wiring and depin from the 95 ex and add it to my dx... if it's not too much of a headache. i'd like to do whatever is easier, i have to finish my car this week. i'm doing a swap, turbo, and chipping the ecu all at the same time, for the first time. i'm sure i'll have bugs, i need to get this thing together!! school starts next week, and between that and working full time, it'll take me forever to do anything...

oh yeah, thanks transzex!

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know i'm not the only one with this swap.... post up people, i need to finish this f'er!! am i good, or not?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok, i've been digging through wiring diagrams and harnesses and i've come up with this, on the ex dash harness and engine harness:

vtec solenoid BLU/BLK wire goes to the canon, which has a OR/BLU female, which leads to A4 on the pinout. i don't have this wire in my dx, i'll depin it from the ex, pin it in my harness...

vtec pressure switch is GRN/YEL wire that goes to canon, which has a female OR/WHT wire which leads to pinout D6, which i'll have to ad to mine as well.

i also need to run a ground to the tranny from the vtec oil pressure sensor.

b/w this and unplugging the stock map senor and plugging it into the throttle body, is that it? what about the vacuum lines under the map sensor? bypass them?

i haven't found any decent writeups on this swap. mainly people swapping to b's or modifying stock harnesses, lots of stuff i don't need mixed with a couple of things i do need. confusing!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Plug and play w/ a Ex harness bro!

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about the pressure switch, vtec solenoid?? the canon has no wiring on the cabin side... i'm not so sure... but i'll try nothing, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Just plug in a Ex/Si harness in Engine bay and give it a wirl!

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
transzex said:
BUMP FOR UPDATE!!

i started the car w/o hooking up the vtec solenoid and got the solenoid cel. i ran two wires from ecu to canon plug where vtec sol/press swch go, and the cel went off, but vtec's not kicking in. shuts off at 4k. i think i need to ground it, can i ground it through the harness, or do i have to do it directly off the solenoid?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BUMP

this totally sucks. my connections are good from the ecu to the vtec solenoid and pressure switch, but i can't go above 4k, wtf???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts