Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently installed a MSD Blaster 2 coil with the MSD Pro dist. cap, after a few months car starting cutting off & eventually stopped running altogether. I replaced the igniter & it fired right up, drove it twice about 10 miles, parked it & about an hour later dead again, no spark. Both of the igniters used were very old. Is it possible that the coil is blowing them or have I do I just need a new igniter.
Also, do high energy coils affect the ECU adversely?
If this is the wrong place to ask this where should I post it?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
Ran 100k miles or so with a MSD 6AL and B2 coil, only one ignitor partial failure. The MSD box helped me get the car home that last 100 miles from Niagra 6 meet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reinstalled the OEM coil & another used igniter from the parts pile, fired right up. Will it keep running remains to be seen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We've found that heat and low voltage were harder on ignition components than a high output coil. We run an MSD remote coil with the modified dist cap in our race car and have stopped having igniter issues. We used to have to take 2-3 dist's to each event and usually go through them all in 2 days. Taking the coil out of the dist reduced the heat which is what I think was partly the cause.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'm bassakwards

We've found that heat and low voltage were harder on ignition components than a high output coil. We run an MSD remote coil with the modified dist cap in our race car and have stopped having igniter issues. We used to have to take 2-3 dist's to each event and usually go through them all in 2 days. Taking the coil out of the dist reduced the heat which is what I think was partly the cause.
I've run all stock dist. for years of auto-x, track days & long, hard, fast highway runs without any trouble till I installed the remote MSD coil & MSD modified coil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the resistance in the primary windings of the aftermarket coil vs. the factory coil with a multimeter.

If the aftermarket one has less resistance than the factory one you are probably burning out ignitors because you are overdriving them.

If I am thinking clearly (not very likely) the ignitor is just a transistor or 2 or 3 that feeds power to the coil then cuts it, field collapses, sparky spark in the pluggy plug(s).

The electrical formulas E=IxR and P=IxE figure heavily.

This may not be the problem at all, but I know there are low resistance coils that play hell on stock ignitions, or just dump their oily guts all over the top of your motor if you have a strong set of points... Gross.

My $.02 is that a properly maintained stock ignition is probably better than 90% of the aftermarket. It just doesn't look as shiny.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's like putting a 1ohm sub-woofer on a Amp designed for 4 ohm speakers, it'll over heat the transistors and burn them out, the transistor in the icm is mounted directly to the dizzy base sharing the engine heat, doing no good for dissipating the generated heat, could try removing the icm and remote locating it with a small heat-sink added to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts