Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car: 96 accord. f22b2 enging. autotragic

issue: idles at 300 once warmed up

what did i do to fix it: new vc gasket kit with spark plug tube seals, cleaned iacv and fitv. tightened the fitv. i got a good 3 full turns before it was tight. cleaned tb along with a new gasket.

still idles at 300rpm. sits at about 1k until it gets warm, then drops.

question: im going to put a new dizzy o ring on. i know how..not the question..to fiddle with the dizzy timing, do i have to jump the service connector? If so, once i set the timing, WHILE its running, do i undo the service connector? or turn it off, then unplug, then restart to see if its fixed?

let me know peps. engine is cooling off now so i want to get this shit done today.

Had an ek coupe, 98, that we fixed an idle issue with by fiddleing with the dizzy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A 300 rpm idle won't magically go back up to the 650 it's supposed to be by playing with the distributor. Stop playing with it, and start from the beginning, like I told you in your previous thread. You're fucking around with stuff that won't make any difference until you can confirm everything else.

Did you actually confirm your mechanical timing?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 300 rpm idle won't magically go back up to the 650 it's supposed to be by playing with the distributor. Stop playing with it, and start from the beginning, like I told you in your previous thread. You're fucking around with stuff that won't make any difference until you can confirm everything else.

Did you actually confirm your mechanical timing?
How am i supposed to without a light gun? if it was out of time, id run like shit all the time. correct? this dosent. runs really good t idles really low once its warm. And yes, i and a few friends, have fixed low idles by fiddling with the dizzy. fixed my ek coupe i know for a fact.

anyway. ill check mechanical timing if i can do it without a light gun but if not, ill be doing the dizzy o ring in a little bit.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You can set TDC and line up all your timing marks, set your dizzy to center of adjust-ability. Start from there at least. Try and get your hands on a gun from some one, if I had a way to send you stuff I have extra wrenches and a gun I would part with. I am west coast WA though, but I know there has to be some one nearer to you then I.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can set TDC and line up all your timing marks, set your dizzy to center of adjust-ability. Start from there at least. Try and get your hands on a gun from some one, if I had a way to send you stuff I have extra wrenches and a gun I would part with. I am west coast WA though, but I know there has to be some one nearer to you then I.
ive kicked myself time and time again lately. Ive seen timing lights at thrift stores for a couple bucks. just dont know how to see if they work. lol

ill set it to tdc and see whats up. im guessing if the timing marks dont line up, at tdc, then mechanical timing is off?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Could be an indicator of such yes. Its a good place to start at least.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
yes if the timing marks don't line up at TDC it is mechanically out of time. but don't jump to setting the timing marks up at that point. The head could be shaved or the block decked and that would throw your timing marks off. Also beware of the hydraulic tensioner on the timing belt if you let it completely extend you will play hell trying to compress it back again..

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes if the timing marks don't line up at TDC it is mechanically out of time. but don't jump to setting the timing marks up at that point. The head could be shaved or the block decked and that would throw your timing marks off. Also beware of the hydraulic tensioner on the timing belt if you let it completely extend you will play hell trying to compress it back again..
If timing was off, id take it to a buddy of mine to see whats up. I dont know how to set timing. I suck. lol

Time to at least do the o ring. Be back later.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did the o ring. looked like there wasent one even on it. hope its in the right spot. i used the old ring off my other 2 so who knows. couldnt get the service manual to load on my phone. Added a ground wire to my vc. one is already on it but i added another just to see what happened. nothing. lol

no change except it kinda idles LOWER now. wtf. lol. didnt turn the dizzy or nothing, just put it back on how i found it. marked it with a straight edge first. will fiddle in a bit. came inside because it started snowing.

and now its stopped.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Do you have this bolt/screw on your throttle body?

·
Registered
650 Posts
First off, you don't check mechanical timing with a timing light. The light is for ignition timing.

Second, @ HondaDNA: he's already played around with his idle adjustment. In his previous thread, he said he turned it fully in both directions and it made no difference...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Do you have this bolt/screw on your throttle body?
yes i do. I havent touched it.

First off, you don't check mechanical timing with a timing light. The light is for ignition timing.

Second, @ HondaDNA: he's already played around with his idle adjustment. In his previous thread, he said he turned it fully in both directions and it made no difference...
I adjusted the other crew. the one on the front of the tb. not by the butterfly wheel.

and about timing...ive never set timing before so i have no idea what a gun is for. was just saying i have no idea about timing,

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
No one else as asked this, so I will. Are you sure it's idling at 300 RPM? The lowest the OEM tach reads is 500 RPM, so what might look like 300 RPM is really 800 RPM.

Note that the tach is pointed at 0, and just above it is the first mark. That mark is 500 RPM, not 0. So what might look like 300 is really 800.

If that is not the case and you are datalogging 300 or something, then disregard this post.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one else as asked this, so I will. Are you sure it's idling at 300 RPM? The lowest the OEM tach reads is 500 RPM, so what might look like 300 RPM is really 800 RPM.

Note that the tach is pointed at 0, and just above it is the first mark. That mark is 500 RPM, not 0. So what might look like 300 is really 800.

If that is not the case and you are datalogging 300 or something, then disregard this post.
it idles at that line but i have another line before the 1k mark. one line is right above the 0 mark and one line is between that line and the 1k mark.

mine also drops to below that line most of the time. especially at stop lights and shit. have to give it a tad gas and she levels out. no shaking or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts