Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i looked around and didn't see any other threads on extending these. So I figured since I took a lot of pictures when i was building the white crx I would post these up here.

Sorry i cant remember the tube size i believe it was 1.9" almost 2" OD or something just make sure you get some tubing that will line up inside and out good.

I have used both stainless tube and steel in the pictures, I think that the stainless welds nicer and is stronger. I feel as though i don't have to put so much heat into. You don't want to weaken and warp the material with to much heat so just be careful.

Remove all the bushings

Underneath you can see the bolts are pressed through the bottom

So just get your trusty hammer out and tap them out be careful not to damage the threads

Then place about a foot of your tubing on the top and temporary tack weld it on

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continued

Now you have a way to fit it into a band-saw or maybe a vice so that you can hold it while cutting.

Be sure that you cut it as flush to the base as possible

Now we can cut our tack welds of, use a dremel to take as little material of as possible.

Now clean up you materials with a belt sander or grinder whatever you have.

Its a good idea to give it a bit of a bevel so that the weld will flow in between the two pieces.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
continued

This is what your parts should look like once there all cleaned up

Now place you piece upside down on top of your tube

Now tack inside the bottom

Now flip it over and tack around the top in four opposing spots

Go ahead and start welding the base then

I didnt get any pictures of the top piece but tack it the same and weld it up, just make sure the inside is lined up very straight this is your suspension after all.

Here is a stainless one

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
continued

Once you get all 4 done you can paint them

And here is a before and after effect picture of all your hard work

You can see how it fits right where the spring had been lowered and no longer effecting shock travel.

I have made about 4 sets of these and they have all worked great at auto-crosses and daily driving so they should hold up well and will give you a better ride when lowering your spring. Thanks and I hope you enjoy let me know what you think.

·
Registered
99 ex
119 Posts
Iv heard of extending the top hat, never looked into it.

You must have been loading the pictures as you wrote it i been waiting to see it since u made the first post at at 4 lol

Really like the write up tho :bigok:

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
nice, detailed write-up sir. the way they should be done. :TU:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
nicely done DIY... :TU:

how much did you extend the hat..?
looks to be about 1.5'', hard to tell tho just from the pics...

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If you didn't use 309 or higher filler when welding these, you can get cracks welding stainless to mild steel. Usually these will be obvious right after the weld has cooled (I can explain more on this if anyone wants), but can also form invisible microfractures that will get worse over time, especially if exposed to chlorine (from road salt or sea air). I don't recommend using stainless in this application for most people. Normal steel is more than strong enough and will weld better (less chance of cracking the welds) than stainless for most guys.

But, excellent write up!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you didn't use 309 or higher filler when welding these, you can get cracks welding stainless to mild steel. Usually these will be obvious right after the weld has cooled (I can explain more on this if anyone wants), but can also form invisible microfractures that will get worse over time, especially if exposed to chlorine (from road salt or sea air). I don't recommend using stainless in this application for most people. Normal steel is more than strong enough and will weld better (less chance of cracking the welds) than stainless for most guys.

But, excellent write up!
Oh thanks for reminding me I forgot to mention what welding rod. Yes 308 for steel pipe and 309 for stainless pipe. Im glad you mentioned that some people dont know about welding stainless to steel.

Oh and lets not forget how sexy 309 welds

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a certain way to know what distance you should go to? Or is it just the distance needed between the tophat and spring? To make captive

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,033 Posts
thats great ,when I did this on my 99 hatch ,I was like sweet look how much suspension travel I have ,on a sslamed car...
will need extra bump stops!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts