Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to make one and share with you guys!

Some time ago I noticed in local shop thermal gasket sheets. They weren't cheap, but I thought it would be for future needs and bought smallest sheet available (which was about 1.5x1.5 meters and 2mm thick). Paid about $90 for it.. It is called "TEMAC" Temaplus (http://www.temac.cz/produkt.aspx?pid=6)

Tools / materials needed:
* sharp knife
* gasket material
* dremel (desirable)
* hammer
* pen

1. First thing to do is take intake manifold and measure approximate flange dimensions (add 1cm on each side), draw rectangle on gasket sheet and cut it out with sharp knife.

2. Put intake manifold with flange on gasket rectangle you just cut and draw shape of flange on gasket.

3. One of the the most important part is to mark stud holes correctly, because you want them to be aligned perfect to fit gasket on head afterwards. I marked them with paintbrush and white paint through flange holdes. Then I made some sort of hole cutter from this little inline skate wheel/ bearing spacer and sharpened edges with dremel. Then I put it on necessary stud places and knocked out material with hammer and self made cutter.

4. I compared some brand names thermal gaskets like Hondata, GE, Blox, OBX and noticed Hondata (which I assume is the best) uses more spare material around ports. I found it to be good idea, because you have more area covered from head to intake manifold.
SO what I did.. I took pen and added ~0,5-1cm on manifold flange drawing and more cm other places where I found to be necessary.

5. Then I took old intake manifold gasket, matched stud holes with new and marked intake port shapes and coolant hole. Then drawed ~0.5cm smaller ports free with my hand so I can cut out with confidence. Cut out those smaller port marks and coolant port with sharp knife.

6. Take your intake manifold and put new gasket on flange and make sure stud holes are aligned with gasket stud holes you cut earlier. I took some 8mm bolts and taped them a bit to put them through new gasket in flange stud holes to make sure they won't offset.

7. Take dremel and cut out exact intake port shape and coolant line if you didn't cut ecact hole!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything looks good

You see more gasket material sticking out of flange

8. Put gasket back on cylinder head and see if everything is aligned good

9. Install intake manifold, tighten the nuts and you are done! Congratulate yourself with new thermal intake gasket! Now take your honda for a ride. :)

:bigok:

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
Great writeup! How does this benefit someone over buying say a hondata or other brand of thermal I'm gasket?

Edit* post 600 :)

Edit#2* just read it was 1.5m x 1.5m...how many gaskets do you think you would be able to make?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glad you like my writeup! :)

Well, I don't really know how much exactly I can make out of that sheet, but I guess more than 50 easy. And it's not just intake manifold gasket. I can make throttle body to manifold gasket and similar if I need it. I will sell pieces of material for sure to my friends and other Honda members here in my country if they will need some. Actually I would be glad to spend $10-15 for just small sheet of this gasket material instead of spending $90 and holding it in my apartment. It's just 1.5x1.5 meters was smallest available.

rdc: As for temperature changes. Too bad I didn't take any measurements of intake temperature before, but from what I can tell I can feel the difference with my hand when I put it on manifold! It is noticeably cooler.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Nice.
We are doing something similar with PTFE again not cheap.
3mm thick and laser cut. Rep for such a superb job and the pics.
Are you going to log the changes in IAT after adding this ?
If you are im in for the results.
Why PTFE. It is very expensive and very prone to cold flow which will cause it to allow the bolts to lose clamping force and come lose.

Nylon or fibreglass or even plywood soaked in polyester resin to seal the end grain would be a much better choice.

All plastic OEM manifolds are Glass Filled Nylon, mostly Nylon 6.6 because of it's good heat and cold flow resistance. They still use steel tubes moulded into the bolt holes to eliminate cold flow from allowing the bolts to come lose and create air leaks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
nice job! Dang, I was hoping to see back to back IAT's but o well. You should cut and sell these. Make a combo package for IM and TB gaskets too!

-Luke

·
Registered
1988 CRX
544 Posts
Dang! Baller status for not much money. I like!

·
Registered
1988 CRX
544 Posts
nice job! Dang, I was hoping to see back to back IAT's but o well. You should cut and sell these. Make a combo package for IM and TB gaskets too!

-Luke
That would be awesome, by the way. I'm sure a lot of lazy DIY'ers would buy some.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's my Venom IM

I am currently working on some d16z6 / p29 piston project for my friend and we will put stock IM gasket and take IAT readings and will make thermal later and I will be back with temperature readings!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts