Honda D Series Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
It’s hard to explain. To me it sounds like ting-tingting-ting-tingtingting at different frequencies. Pretty much, if it’s not pinging, you won’t hear anything besides the motor running, once it starts pinging, you will hear it.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I made one using my Harbor freight stethoscope. Basically just welded a piece of metal to the end of the rod to bolt to the block, and extended the hoses. It works fine at lower rpms, but as soon as my wastegates open it's hard to hear. I'm probably going to redo my wastegate dump pipes, but do you think that is even a good way? Seems like using the copper pipe like posted above would give better sound. Should I just bag the HF setup or has anyone else made one this way?

My bolt location is nice though it's almost at the top of the block by the #1 cylinder (DOHC ZC block).

Mechanic's Stethoscope

Is your car open down pipe also?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
If you want to know what it sounds like, watch the youtube video. Its 100% correct.

It actually kinda annoys me that video exists because I had to earn the knowledge of what knock sounds like. People never respect or appreciate things they didnt have to earn.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,434 Posts
Anyone ever tried this on an open downpipe car how is the noise then is it still possible to hear knock?
I find it allot easier to hear your engine with ear muff type det cans ,helps block out some of the loud.

I made a doctor set like these but found them to be annoying.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Just thought about this thread as I was just at HF. Two years later and I still need to make one of these. My question is the scope I just picked up at HF doesn't have the gray tube. Rather it has about 1/8'' long rod on the end is all. Is there any way I can still make it work? If I use 1/8'' vacuum line will the sound not travel as well as with the 3/8''? I thought the bigger tube would transfer sound easier. Or should I find a way to make the 3/8'' fuel hose work?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just connect it up to the tube the best you can. The larger ID the hose the better for sound to travel, but it will still work with adapters and so forth. Might just lose a little amplitude.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts