Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
96 Honda civic EX
13 Posts
Gotta try this, tried the $25 electronic one..lets just say it picks up EVERYTHING.. Horrible! All you hear is every engine noise!

Will be really happy if i can actually hear det with this one! Not that i want to actually hear it lol

·
Registered
96 Honda civic EX
13 Posts
parts needed:
3/8 barbed fitting
mechanics stethoscope (included with the stethoscope is the grey Y tube and the ear fittings...) PN: Lisle's 52500
9 feet of 3/8ths hose (i used fuel line hose, 6ft might get it done)
8-12inches of copper tube
hose clamp
Specs on copper pipe? best place to get it ?

Thanks!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Its just your average copper plumbing pipe. IDK maybe a 14mm OD, something like that. Im not a plumber. hah.

The copper tube acts like an amplifier. The larger you make it, or the more volume inside of the copper tube, the better it amplifies.

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Anyone ever check out that link at the end of the detonation video? wolfems.com I can't get it to load, its just a gray page.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone ever check out that link at the end of the detonation video? wolfems.com I can't get it to load, its just a gray page.
The video is over 5 years old. The company may have gone out of business or moved sites or something.

KS-3 Knock Detection and Engine Tuning Systems

Personally, i'd just build one like Danz's, although having a bright as shit light flash when the engine knocks would be pretty cool.

Well, having the light would, not so much actually seeing it flashing lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
this is sick!! great diy and I plan on doing this asap! off to collect parts, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone ever thought of using the location of the stock knock sensor?

For example my y7 didn't come with a knock sensor but the threaded hole is still there and it's almost right at the top of the block where combustion takes place.

I would assume Honda found this to be the optimum location for knock detection?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Anyone ever thought of using the location of the stock knock sensor?

For example my y7 didn't come with a knock sensor but the threaded hole is still there and it's almost right at the top of the block where combustion takes place.

I would assume Honda found this to be the optimum location for knock detection?
Thats a solid idea man! Do it up and let us know how it works!

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Nice DIY Op i just saw this. I will install one on my car as well, because all cool kids has to have one.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Just bolt it up as high as you can on the block. The closer to the combustion chamber the better.

The head works too but more noise comes from there than the bottom end and you really want to hear the bottom end more so than the cylinder head.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Anyone ever tried this on an open downpipe car how is the noise then is it still possible to hear knock?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Yes its possible but there is a lot more noise than usual.

I actually think it could be detrimental to your hearing, so be careful.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Anyone ever tried this on an open downpipe car how is the noise then is it still possible to hear knock?
I've used it on a N/A straight piped car with the opening just behind the shifter location. It is still possible to hear it but of course having the car quieter will definitely help since there is less background noise. Imagine listening to a heartbeat while the person is talking. It can be that distracting sometimes.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
I made one using my Harbor freight stethoscope. Basically just welded a piece of metal to the end of the rod to bolt to the block, and extended the hoses. It works fine at lower rpms, but as soon as my wastegates open it's hard to hear. I'm probably going to redo my wastegate dump pipes, but do you think that is even a good way? Seems like using the copper pipe like posted above would give better sound. Should I just bag the HF setup or has anyone else made one this way?

My bolt location is nice though it's almost at the top of the block by the #1 cylinder (DOHC ZC block).

Mechanic's Stethoscope

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
81 - 100 of 110 Posts