Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm all about function > Form. My driver's side mount has been in bad shape for a while now and adding turbo has not made things better. I wanted to get a set of innovative solid billet mounts in the future but to try an idea in the mean time I decided to fabricate my own. My car is a 1994 Civic EX and as you know quite a few if not all of these came with an aluminum bodied driver's side motor mount. I do not have access to a tig welder so a better platform for me was the DX 2-bolt mount which is steel. Picked one up from a fellow DSO member for $15 shipped with the brackets...

This is what It looked like upon arrival

I ground the rubber down around the bolt sheathe and had to take some more down so my plates would sit flush with the body of the mount

I sanded down the paint in prep for the welds

I cut a 4" long piece of 1/8th" thick steel from a square pipe that was sitting around the shop and drilled a hold through to fit around the bolt sheathe

I started out by welding the bolt sheathe to the plate and then the top and bottom of the plate to the body. I used a pair of wide jaw vise grips on the plate to hold it tight to the mount while welding.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The end result after some grinding of the welds and painting doesn't look too bad and it's solid for sure

The 2-bolt bracket that came with the mount did not fit the lower timing belt cover of the z6 but I had another bracket in my garage that was 2-bolt and fit the timing belt cover plus the steel bracket that connects the mount bracket to the block. All mocked up on my D15B block/Z6 head.

Going to install it tomorrow :TU:

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,880 Posts
Right on man. Nice n simple aswell as effective. Im doing sold mounts in my ef but im just going to turn some aluminum pucks and press them in and drill a hole in them. But this idea is pretty sweet i may do this with my side mount and tranny mount to keep weight down

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
this was my plan also, nice write up

I went with poly inserts....

If you have the driver side 3 post aluminum mount the prothene inserts are highly recommended....I love mine, but I didn't know I needed the 3post but I tracked one down

the driver side insert actually replaces the entire rubber part on the mount the passenger side is just like the energy suspention inserts that fit in the stock mount. I went race mont and they are stiff as hell

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
good thing I went as cheap as possible on the solid mount idea. I think I'll be getting some innovatives with polyurethane lol. vibrates too much for daily driving, and that's just with one mount done.

I got a nice foot massage on the way home. at idle the vibrating goes away completely and at higher rpms also it's just in the mid range that's pretty loud. I have no choice but to run this mount for now so i'll be converting the trans side mount soon as well and trying to diagnose some vibrating parts on the car.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I hope thats not the only solid mount you installed dude.

Seriously its going to break your block. That is the weakest mount on the block.

I actually DONT do that mount solid on even my race car, but every single other one is solid.

PS solid work on the mount. I just wouldnt do that mount solid, ever really...

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks for effectively scaring the bejezzus out of me. my plan is to weld all 3 mounts and both torque mounts. Tomorrow seems like a good idea in light of this new info. a side note: I have the metal bracket installed to offer a bit more strength to the way it's clamped onto the block

·
Registered
557 Posts
i totally was gonna do the same thing! i did this to my friends subaru with stocks mounts, saved him $250 and came out awesome! i filled all mine with poly instead

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good man. With that tranny mount, you should be safe. It will take a lot of stress off that driver side block mount.
I hope so. the rear mount and torque mounts are next some time this week. Once I get the rear done I can take my time on the torque mounts by having them off the car. I know it won't be necessary to even use them but I figure if I decide to get rid of them down the line it would be nice to have the set of 5

1 - 20 of 50 Posts