Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know they are faily cheap from go-autoworks.....but this was free(for me) and about 1-1 1/4 hours to make and im sure really cheap to make even if you buy materials

what was needed:

sheet of aluminum big enough (free from any circle track guy :) )
single sided adhesive foam tape (~1/2-3/4" thick)
sharpie marker

well its pretty strait forward on how to do this:

step 1) measure the radiator....cut sheet oversized a few inches

step2) measure and center the fan on the sheat. trace the outside of the fan

step 3) measure the distance from the outside rim to the fan flade

step 4) find the center and drill a small hole

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
step 5) insert a small screw into the hole either tie a string around the screw and around the marker to help make a perfect circle the size of the fan blade...i didnt have any thing handy so i made one out of a couple eyelet things and a peice of wire

step 6) measure measure measure....i placed the aluminum over the rad, used measuring tape and did my best to get it all laid out as to the material to remove

step 7) remove material....i used a 4" cutoff disk....im sure this would have been alot easier with anything other than an angle grinder

and all trimed up

step 8 ) then I set the almost finished panel on the radiator, marked the mounting holes and drilled them and marked where the foam needed to be added

step 9) I cut the foam in half on the sticky side so I had two thin pieces to work with and didnt have any overhanging on the radiator blocking potential flow. I stacked the foam 2 rows high and heat gunned it and pressed it on good....nothing like a lil heat to make sticky things stickier :)

step 10) install it all as directed and bolt it on and mount the fan like you normally would using the supplied kit....better pics of the finished product to come...it was dark and my phone was too cold to use flash?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I can't see the pics because of a work filter but you've never come off as ricer trash so therefore I like you and will congradulate you on a job well done!

Nicely done on the thing you made which I can't see.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol....thanks

sometime later this summer i'll pull it off and paint it or prolly just polish it nice n shiney...lol....right now it isnt super pretty but it is fully functional

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
I like this, however my only "issue" with it, is that it blocks off the parts of the radiator that the fan doesn't cover. If you had made the sheet about 1/2-3/4" bigger around the radiator, you could have made cuts at the corners, then bent the ends to make the shroud sit up off the radiator a little bit. This would help funnel the air towards the fan and then out the back, yet still not blocking off parts of the radiator. Either way, I give you props for making it on your own! Good work!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reread homie It sits about an inch off the radiator....I would have bent the edges but do not have a break to do so.....it has two layers of foam around the edges to seal it all up

Look at the second to last pic....and I doubled up on the foam and its really tight and has a good seal

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah a simple break is easy to make, as you can see I has plenty more material to make another....but I did this with stuff I had on hand and figured it was better than no shroud

Here is pics of the foam....its squished pretty good

And the best part is if I wanna make another it will be pretty easy since I can just trace this one out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts