Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the Crx has been getting a little hot since I have had it tuned so I decided to build an Aluminum shroud for it.

Materials needed-
18 X 15 piece of aluminum
Foam tape
6mm bolts and nuts
paint(if you want)

1. First I cut the piece of aluminum down to 18 x 15 which overlaps the radiator on all sides

2. Then I notched out the inlet and outlet. And then the water drain valve

3. Then mark the bolt holes that you will be using to attach the shroud,and drill them out. I think I used 1/4" drill bit.
4. Next slightly bend the overlapping sides down.
5. Set fan on shroud and mark attachment bolt holes and mark the cutout for the fan,(I just traced it and cut ~1" to the inside

6 Drill your holes and cut the circle out. You should be left with this.

7 Bolt your fan to the shroud and then the shroud to the radiator to check fitment

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
8. If everything lines up then good, If not trim what you need to so that it fits well.

9. Take everything back apart and paint the shroud whatever color you want(Optional of course):bigok:

10. While your paint is drying set your foam tape up so that it will seal the edges of the shroud to the radiator.

11. Once your paint is dry re-bolt the fan to the shroud, then re-bolt the shroud to your radiator. While doing this ensure that the foam tape fully covers the gap. I doubled it up.

12. Re-Install radiator and enjoy the cooler temps:bigok::bigok::bigok:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like it. so any idea if it works? seems like it would
The fan blows a lot harder now that it has a space between it and the radiator. I datalogged temps at around 198-201. It was getting 215 the other day after a few hard pulls.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I like it...nice work. You should have used the thermal tape instead of painting it....reduce your temps even more!! repped

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweetness man i didnt really think that made a difference.
I think the biggest difference is moving the fan away from the radiator so that it can "breathe" so to speak. There is about 1 inch space in between the two now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice DIY, but wouldn't it be more effective to take all of the gaps away so that the fan pulls all of it's air through the radiator? It's not the fan blowing on the block that cools it down, its the air going through the rad.

Still, very nice DIY.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice DIY, but wouldn't it be more effective to take all of the gaps away so that the fan pulls all of it's air through the radiator? It's not the fan blowing on the block that cools it down, its the air going through the rad.

Still, very nice DIY.
LOL thanks for that info. Look at all the pics 1 more time.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good job man. We did the same thing on our BBC in our 67 Chevy truck. With out the shroud we would run hot. Built the should spaced fans out 1" from radiator and it dropped out temps 30* to 40*.

You can also use stainless steel if you have a way to bend it or galvanized if you ceramic coat it.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
I got my fan in front of the radiator, it seems to work fine and never overheats, but I noticed that the cooling fan doesn't bring the temps down as much as it should when you turn it on (like if I turn it on at 190 degrees and after a minute or 2 it only drops to 185-188 degrees). Think it would be good to have the shroud on the engine side of the radiator (one large piece) so no engine heat can get to it? Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks great where an how much did the metal cost you?
I had it laying around the garage but it shouldn't cost much.
I definitely dig that, Nice work man!

I got my fan in front of the radiator, it seems to work fine and never overheats, but I noticed that the cooling fan doesn't bring the temps down as much as it should when you turn it on (like if I turn it on at 190 degrees and after a minute or 2 it only drops to 185-188 degrees). Think it would be good to have the shroud on the engine side of the radiator (one large piece) so no engine heat can get to it? Just thought I'd ask.
I'm not too sure what you mean by a shroud on the engine side, are you talking about without a fan? As long as you aren't getting hot I would go with whatever is working.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If someone else builds one of these feel free to post your work up here for the community to get more ideas. It was 92 out today and my car never got over 200 degrees:bigok::bigok::bigok:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this DIY makes me wish i never would have bought a fan shroud...nice work bud.
Thanks, it was definitely worth the effort:yes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts