Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought about this after a customer came to the shop to have side markers installed. I wired them so that they blink with the turn signals only. he wanted them to come on with the running lights and blink with the turn signals. I told him I couldn't do it with what I had at the shop, but really I never put too much thought to it. For a while I've been pondering it and tonight I put my ideas to work and tried it out.

This is what I came up with...

Wire the side marker bulb to ground and the power directly to the turn signal wire on the corner light (green/yellow wire for right, green/blue for left). and run a wire from the running light power to the same wire but put a resistor in between. That way when the running lights are on the side marker will be lit but not as bright as when the turn signal light comes on. I have not tried this first hand but I'll make a morning of it tomorrow. You need 22 ohm resistors rated for 2.7+ watts. you can play with different ohm resistors to adjust the brightness of the side marker running lights(higher ohm = dimmer, lower ohm = brighter). You also have to put a diode in between both power wires feeding the side marker.

Results:

·
Registered
2000 Civic Cx HB
23 Posts
Sounds like a good idea how did it go, if it work how difficult was it would love to do this to my car.

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
I've been thinking about sidemarkers to stick in the scallops of the EG fenders; this should do the trick. Copied and saved.

Rep! :rockon:

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the bench test worked great with the resistor. Going to wire them in tonight. The diodes are so voltage only flows to the side marker and not back to the corner light. For instange if the running lights are on without a diode you wouls be getting power through the resistor back to the turn signal bulbs in the corner lights. also when the turn signal on the running light filiment in the corner light would be blinking also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the bench test worked great with the resistor. Going to wire them in tonight. The diodes are so voltage only flows to the side marker and not back to the corner light. For instange if the running lights are on without a diode you wouls be getting power through the resistor back to the turn signal bulbs in the corner lights. also when the turn signal on the running light filiment in the corner light would be blinking also.
Please some pictures from the installation and the components, when i'm done whit the AP2 Cluster swap then i do this DIY.
So you say, when the turn signal is blinking, then the side marker is off, and when the turn signal is turned off then only the side marker light is on?

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
I want to do this so bad but I'm not down to cut my fenders and fuck it all up.

·
Registered
95 EG Coupe
87 Posts
I did this on my car but I just left on the ground wire and connected the side marker to the running light wire and the signal wire and it works just fine. uploadfromtaptalk1330832511385.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did this on my car but I just left on the ground wire and connected the side marker to the running light wire and the signal wire and it works just fine. View attachment 30467

That wouldn't work to my standards. It's like using a ground as a neutral with electrical work it will work but it's not the correct way. This thread is to show another way.

·
Registered
95 EG Coupe
87 Posts
Well to each his own but I like it. Took me 5 mins to wire and its nice to have the light on the side in the dark helps me see. Just I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents incase someone didn't wanna mess with resistors and all that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts