Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, I remember a few weeks back that allot of people were interested in how to recode their lock cylinders. So I did a little research and I recoded mine. so I figured id write up a little DIY for everyone. This guide can be used for most if not all makes or models of vehicles as essentially they all work on the same general design. This write up is based on a 92 EG.

First step is to remove the clip holding the lock cylinder to the exterior door handle:

The next step is important, you need to insert any Honda key into the cylinder to lower the lock pins, it does not matter if its for the correct lock or not, all you want this to do is to lower the pins, so that you can remove the lock cylinder from its holder. If you do not do this step you will break your lock pins, you’ve been warned:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You next need to remove the rear spring from the lock to separate the cylinder from the holder, just use a small flat head to remove it, keep in mind that it goes in a certain way, pay attention to the ends(circled to put it back in properly) also don’t worry about the plastic piece :

You can now separate the key cylinder from the holder, it should slide out with a slight pull, mine would not because it had A LOT of corrosion holding it together, I placed it on a bench vice and just tapped it out with a hammer, this is the end result.

Now you can remove the key so that you can start recoding your lock, once the key is removed you can remove the lock pins, on a Honda, there are 4 pins on top and 3 on the bottom, each pin is numbered to indicate its dimension, each pin has a slot were it makes contact with a spring, it only fits one way so you cant mess this part up .I find it easy to simply remove all of the pins (each pin has a spring, you can remove them and reinstall them) and then install them back in one by one starting from one end and finishing at the other. The issue is that you need to install them in the right combination for the key that you will be recoding the lock cylinder too. The best way again is to install one pin and then insert the key into the lock cylinder and then insert the cylinder into the holder, if it turns when you twist the key you know that pin can work there. Always start from one end and with the highest numbered pin. Here are a few pics to aid you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

These are some of the pins taken out, you can use machine oil to lube them up so that it will make your job easier.

I dipped these pins in a quick acid bath so that the numbers are legible, every lock will have a different combination of keys, again reinstall them one at a time starting with the highest number pin, install the first pin and then insert the key you want to use for the lock and then place the lock cylinder in the holder and give it a turn, if it turns, you know that pin will work in that spot, do this for each pin, so eventually you will have like four pins in the lock cylinder that once you insert the key it turns.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

If you don’t have any spare locks for extra pins you will probably end up only using 3-4 pins because the rest may not match, but even with 4 pins the lock will work just fine, it may just be easier to pick than one with all 7 pins used. I have ALOT of pins so I recoded this lock with all the proper pins, once it is recoded add the back spring and reinstall back into the car.

·
Registered
03 mazda 6
315 Posts
good idea and good write up... but there is a shorter method to figuring out what tumbler you need for which slot. im not training anybody on this, but anyone who works in a dealership and has coded key locks probably can read a key lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts