Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THIS IS PART ONE OF TWO PART'S- IT WAS TOO LONG SO I HAVE TO MAKE TWO POST'S :)
if you have been considering the purchase of after market rear lower control arm's but are not sure if you will be able to do the work, this DIY is for you... :)

i am doing this write up using my 98 ex sedan... i belive all 92-00 civic's will be the same... earlier one's may differ a lil bit...

fist thing is safty, ALLWAYS USE JACK STAND'S!!! your life is more valuable than your car!

tool's needed: jack, jack stand's, lug wrench, 14mm and 17 mm wrench...
(i used air tool's and i have after market bolt's so used a couple of different thing's)

Reactions: 88cr-rex

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
PART TWO YO

1) put a piece of wood or what ever you have in front of one of the front tire's (so your car wont roll while your jacking it up) jack up the back of your car, i used the tow hook in the rear of my car to do this, it lifts the whole back of the car at the same time...

2)put your jack stands uder your car, you need to put them in the factory jacking spots on the frame just infront of your rear tire... (ill post a pick here for refence in a lil while)

3) remove your rear tire's... in the pic's you can see how thin the stock control arm's are

4) put your jack under the hub on the rotor, jack it up ony enough to were it barly move's, very important not to jack it up as this will put the weight of the car on the jack and can cause serious injury if you try to remove the arm's with the weight on the jack instead of the jack stand's...
THE JACK IS ONLY USED HERE TO KEEP THE HUB FROM MOVING DOWN AFTER THE LCA IS REMOVED, THAT IS ALL DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME

5) now, your ready to remove the three bolt's needed to remove the arm... once you remove the bolt's simoly hit the stock lca in a downward motin with your hand... usaly fall's right off...

6) when you instal the new arm make sure you have it in the right position, intsall the bolt's in this order as it make's thing's easy... do the other side the same way...

7)now put your rear tire's back on, jack the back of the car back up remove the jack stands and wood from front tire and your done...
the whole job took me around 45 minute's with takeing picture's

Reactions: carby

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good post. Maybe add something about how they get rusted inside of the bushing requiring you to cut off the old arms or melt the shit out of it.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good post. Maybe add something about how they get rusted inside of the bushing requiring you to cut off the old arms or melt the shit out of it.
man, aint that the truth.. i had to literally chop and hack my r/rear upper arm off, lucky i had the new one's allready... that shit was no fun at all :TD:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
very nice :TU:. I noticed it leveled out the drop on mine after I put mine on. Did you notice anything on yours afterwards?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm still taking my car to the shop to get them installed. I don't have air tool and my car is giving me enough trouble with the coilover install.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still taking my car to the shop to get them installed. I don't have air tool and my car is giving me enough trouble with the coilover install.
you dont need air tool's, just some sockets and a wrench...

i could have done this job literaly in about 30 minute's not even tryin to rush...
if you follow the step's i layed out, it is a easy up grade to do...
the only real problem you could possably come across is what carby mentioned... sometime's the bolt's rust to the metel runner in the bushing, if you get this you will have to wait and go pick up some spare bolt's cause you may have to cut them off in order to get them out...

i went with grade 10.5 socket head bolts a long time ago, i dont have to worry about rust but i spent about $60 for 8 bolts...

you should at least give it try if you can, have a friend come over and help out... Brian

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very nice :TU:. I noticed it leveled out the drop on mine after I put mine on. Did you notice anything on yours afterwards?
i just drove my car to the store, first time i drove since i did this earlier to day...

i havent got on it or tried to take a corner yet but i did notice a big difference in stance... it levaled it right up and you can notice this even sitting in the car... kinda weird...

make's me want to lower my car some more...:)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
i just drove my car to the store, first time i drove since i did this earlier to day...

i havent got on it or tried to take a corner yet but i did notice a big difference in stance... it levaled it right up and you can notice this even sitting in the car... kinda weird...

make's me want to lower my car some more...:)
mine too, I glad it leveled mine out. I was having problems scrubing my front lip and exhaust 'cause it was so low in the front :lol:.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whoa, i must spread some rep around before i can rep ANYONE who posted on here...lol

i guess i owe you guy's some later on...

and duck, that's hella cool man... :TU:

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you tighten the bolts, you are supposed to load the suspension to get the correct pre-load on the bushings.

Otherwise, good writeup, excellent pics.
honestly, i just tightend everything up before putting it back on the ground... i dont get much squat in the suspension due to my coil over's... alltho it wouldnt hurt to jack it up, loosen the bolt's set her down and re tighten them... do you think it's neccasary...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey, I was just wondering if those are arp wheel studs you have?

Reactions: 4Door

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Very nice write up. Nice detail and pics.
Don

Reactions: 4Door
1 - 20 of 33 Posts