1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just relocated my radio
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/130859-97-radio-relocation.html
and i didn't want that hole in the dash where the radio was and i didn't want to go and order a blockoff plate.
when i moved the radio it didn't require the mounting bracket i needed to install a aftermarket radio in the stock place.

so parts and equipment needed;
- old radio mount kit
-1 sheet of project board, ( hobby lobby should have it ) i had it laying around
- Sharpie
- Hot glue gun
- Razor knife
- Hack saw (to cut the project board)(Not pictured)
100_0587.JPG
Project board P/N
100_0589.JPG
First i turned the mount kit upside down and traced the inside of the mount kit on the front (Back would of been better) of the project board
100_0591.JPG

100_0592.JPG
I used the hacksaw to cut out just outside of the traceing marks, and a razor knife to trim down the peice
100_0593.JPG

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Use the hot glue gun to glue the project board in the mount kit
100_0594.JPG

100_0595.JPG

100_0598.JPG
and this mount kit just slides in to the dash
100_0599.JPG
it is a perfect place to mount gauges, switches, or lights. whatever you want to mount in it, and there's a lot of room behind the plate :)

**UPdate
i've decided i should take some black rtv or paintable sylicone and fill in the cracks on the inside of the mount kit, you can see the sides of the project board around the sides of mount kit,

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
cool man came out good

·
Registered
908 Posts
Niiiice....but i like having my radio lol ill go with a gauge pillar.
He kept his radio as well... check out the last picture. He went with a 96-98 cup holder/console. I persoanlly hated that anytime I had a cup in the holder, I couldn't access the cubby. And in this case, I wouldn't be able to see my radio/use my remote. I never really understood why the cup holders had to have a lid. I swapped mine for a 99-00 cup holder with the open cubby.

If you want a 96-98 with the lid and place4 to mount your radio lower, PM me... I've got one I can sell.

AS for the DIY job, it looks nice and clean.... good work. But is that project board plastic or like a really thick poster board? Why not just buy a piece of carbon fiber and add some flare?

·
Registered
97 Civic LX
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Niiiice....but i like having my radio lol ill go with a gauge pillar.
ya i do still do have my radio, this diy was done after my first one, radio relocation, i just didn't like having that big hole where the radio was at.

AS for the DIY job, it looks nice and clean.... good work. But is that project board plastic or like a really thick poster board? Why not just buy a piece of carbon fiber and add some flare?
thanks, ya that project board is 1/8" plastic. i would of used carbon fiber but i didn't go out and buy the project board. i had it laying around. i suppose i could of quickly laid a flat carbon fiber sheat but i didn't have any resin hardner left. and i didn't want to go out and get some lol.

but thank you for all your comments, i'll be sending rep to all that appriciated the diy:clap::clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts