Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DISCLAIMER-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not a "How-To" post... this is a "How I Did It" post.

My purpose for writing these articles is to create a written record of how I did certain projects and repairs, in case I need the information later.

The public is allowed to read the content of this via dseries.org, but readers must be advised that this content is for entertainment value only.

If you follow the procedures, techniques and methods shown on this website, be aware that you follow them at your own risk.

Under no circumstances will the author(s) and/or publisher(s) of Dseries.org be held liable for any injuries or damages, direct or consequential, incurred by any

person who attempts to follow the examples shown herein.

Warning:

If you repair a vehicle, and your repairs cause the vehicle to malfunction, leading to an accident that causes property damage, injury or death, there is a chance that

YOU MAY BE HELD LIABLE. There is no guarantee that the automobile liability insurance will cover the damages if you repaired the vehicle improperly.

Steering, suspension and brakes are the systems most commonly associated with malfunctions that can lead to loss of vehicle control, so extra caution must be

used when servicing these systems. However, other vehicle systems can malfunction and cause injury or property damage.

I strive to provide accurate information about the projects and repairs shown on Dseries.org. However, I am NOT currently a licensed auto mechanic, and my

experience in auto mechanics is limited.

I try to highlight and expose the risks and potential hazards for readers of this website, but I cannot anticipate all possibilities.

If you are not absolutely sure of your abilities, find someone who is, such as a licensed or certified professional.

If you seek the lowest risk method of repairing or servicing a vehicle, I recommend that you have a licensed or certified auto repair shop do the repairs.

Also some procedures are summarized to save the author time. if you the reader are not familiar with these procedures DO NOT proceed with any procedures herein

this article.

DIY Push Button Ignition:
first acquire push button ignition switch.
Carbon Fibre Ignition Engine Start Push Starter Button Panel Toggle Switch 3018 | eBay

when you get the unit youll notice something peculiar about the relay

the white wire (85) on the relay is attached to the hot wire from the master switch (30). thus eliminating the point of having the push button to trip the relay and start the car. i just separated the two.
also there wasn't any instructions included with the ignition switch either so i made my own.

now that ive got a plan i tested it with my handy dandy 12v DC emulator AKA an old Nintendo 64 power supply.

now im ready to install the PB Ignition Switch.
i used an old stereo harness for the power to the actual push button module via the ACC wire. (NOTE: remove the 12+ constant from the stereo harness to prevent potential shorts and or fire).
then i got eight feet of eight gauge wire, an 8 gauge fusible link, butt to hole connector, and various other wiring accessories. you'll notice in the pic that there is a port below the battery which i
use to run all my after market wiring.

now the tricky part. attaching the relay to the starter circuit. refer back to the diagram for the color of the wire.

before installing the fuse you'll want to ground the system to the chassis. i used a bolt in the stereo compartment.
ok if you followed the diagram that i made you should be ready for a test fire.

good luck with your future projects.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
damn, awesome write-up!

you should post here the test vid you texted to my cellie.

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah mines not that cool. lol
honestly the only reason i did the pb installation was because my ignition switch died and this was a cheap fix. ive got more plans for the other toggles later just needed the damn car to start for the moment.
i wish i could have gotten that nissan pb ignition.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
I installed a push button on my del Sol for the same reason. It wouldn't turn over with the key, so I said fuck it and wired a button in. Except, I ran a wire from the starter to the button directly, from the button to a switched (and fused) power, then a ground. Works awesomely. Here's a pic of mine installed...

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Nice. Is that really carbon fiber? Looks like faux carbon.

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. Is that really carbon fiber? Looks like faux carbon.
no its knock off metal with a carbon fiberish paint job. lame but i still like it.

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a push button on my del Sol for the same reason. It wouldn't turn over with the key, so I said fuck it and wired a button in. Except, I ran a wire from the starter to the button directly, from the button to a switched (and fused) power, then a ground. Works awesomely. Here's a pic of mine installed...

the reason i ran it back through the factory wiring was to keep the safety features. just in case i let someone drive my turd i don't want it to lurch because my e-brake is adjusted to barely grab for when i'm out at Bristol Motor Speedway. BTW i've got the same carbon fiber gauge's for when i finish my turd-bo.

awesome write up.

+1 for you
thanks mayne rep back at ya!

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Yea, I NEVER let anyone drive my car. The only people I WOULD let drive my car, is my girlfriend and father. Everyone else would be like, "whats the red button for, and how do I start it? When I turn the key nothing happens..."

Yea the CF gauges are awesome, especially when the sun hits them just right. You can see all the carbon weave and everything.

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Good job man. Nice write up. :TU:

I'd like to add one thing, if I may. I figured out just recently from a conversation about relays with another member on here, why your relay was hard-wired that way from the factory. The white wire that was jumping from the #30 terminal was connected to the positive side of the coil. The reason it was like that is so that the "trigger" wire for the button could be a ground wire (negative side of the coil). It could be considered somewhat of a safety design. It's so you don't have to route one more +12v wire through your dashboard. If you run a ground wire instead, there is less of a chance of something shorting if that wire gets damaged. Also, it's easier to find a source of ground than it is + 12v. So it keeps you from having to tap into positive voltage more than once.

Never-the-less, there's nothing wrong with the way this one is hooked up. It's the same way I hooked up all the relays in my car. In fact, since you tapped into the factory ignition wire to trigger the relay, the way you wired it is the only way it could have been used. I just wanted to comment on why that relay had that wire jumping over from the "always hot" post of the relay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts