Honda D Series Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Top Advice

Top advice on porting and polishing. I have a spare head for my D16z6 and have started to follow the advice and do a PnP job. but i have read differing stories on grinding the valve stems down. I have seen some pictures and they have and others where they have not. What do you think? would this causes and problem with sealing, i am going to put some new valve seals in. ?????????????????????????????

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
I left my stems alone...tricky area...other than a swirl polish and polished faces my valves are left stock

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
well, I installed the y8 head onto the b7...look in turntunes b7/y8 mini me post. even my wife can tell the difference!...difference being the off vtec power is improved to the point you think the displacement is increased, where before the 1.5 would struggle at low speeds to pass....with y8 (which is a better head for low/mid power IMO)head and my "street" p&p you won't have to roll into the throttle as slow...motor makes nice power...now I'm looking for a cam...I tried the z6, y8 and the d15b cams...the y8 seemed to make the best power for my application. at the moment I reworking a jdm b20b for n/a street duty for a ek (not mine, I'm staying D) and a 2003.5 mazdaspeed protege motor...busy busy...

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
great wright up , i am loking to do a P+P soon , just a mild one , to clean up the burs and snots cast marks etc , i do not want to go over the top , but i want to get some sort of gains from doing it !!!!!!!!!!!! do you think it is worth matching the in take ports, and poilishing the EX ports, or do you think i should try and do a bit more , i have done a PM4 Intake Manifold for my carbs , gave it a reel good clean up and opend it up a few .00 , and cleand off the cast marks etc

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
at the bare min. cleaning up the cast lines and putting a good finish on both the intake and exhaust ports is going to gain power accross the rpm range.....it's only when you actually start removing material do you really start changing the flow characteristics...cleaning up the cast lines and improving the finish will maximise the factory port design. Just be careful not to grind the valve seat and the valve guide...

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
thanks for the reply , i think i will give it a go , on a old head when i find a cheep one to play with , i love diy modz it give you a lot of satifation to have done it your self , i am also going to do the carb slides and ports like this

61 - 67 of 67 Posts