364 Posts
Thanx Hondadog....

heres some shots of the combustion chamber work I started

Attachments

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
their stock y8...though I'm contemplating going 1mm oversize....prolly not though
...I noticed new oem valves don't have the built up deposits on the exhaust valves, so I polished it off...maybe I'll have them coated when I'm finished to help combat heat
heres a couple of shats of the y8 and z6 in comparison..

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
i dunno man, my stock y8 valves have the number 12 buldged in the center of the intake valves and i belive an 8 on the exhaust valves, while you have the little circles in the center..

weird.

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
well I think it's a EDM head...I got it from Tank....ask him

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
Well I only got a couple of hours to spend on the head this weekend....got 2 intake and 2 exh ports prepped and a total of 3 comb chambers....of note the deposits on some of the exh valves is very thick....I'm including a pic with a shot of a clean exh valve an one with deposits I buffed them both to show the contrast in color....

Attachments

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
finished the head today....ready for machine shop!...I'm gonna have 3 angle valve job and the head decked only what it needs to be true....I also micro-polished the cam bearing surface as well as the openings for the rocker shafts

Attachments

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
okay..besides the dremel w/ flex shaft...heres what I used to get my head looking this way...I spent a total of $28 on everything I had to buy...already had the dremel and flex shaft,and valve spring compressor...of note...DO NOT BUY THIS SPRING COMPRESSOR...it's a pain in the ass to use on a honda head!

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
how is a dremmel not powerfull enough? what kind of dremel do u have?

plus your not supposed to grind the snot out of it but take your time..., and you dont even need that powerful of a tool for that, this is aluminum after all.

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
7thGear said:
how is a dremmel not powerfull enough? what kind of dremel do u have?

plus your not supposed to grind the snot out of it but take your time..., and you dont even need that powerful of a tool for that, this is aluminum after all.
T.Y.:beer: yet, tactfully done....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow looks like you did a good job!!! Congrats, now lets see if it puts down more power when you get it back from the shop...

D

·
0 Posts
All i am saying is that all of the performance shops ive been to dont use a dremel to port. They use something with a lil more power. You can go slower with a bigger bit and take a lot more out than you can going faster with a smaller bit. plus since the other tool's bits are larger, its easier to make the curves and such in the ports.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
desdog said:
All i am saying is that all of the performance shops ive been to dont use a dremel to port. They use something with a lil more power. You can go slower with a bigger bit and take a lot more out than you can going faster with a smaller bit. plus since the other tool's bits are larger, its easier to make the curves and such in the ports.
Well, not many of us have the same budget as a "performance shop". And, if you look at the pics a dremel will work just as well. Most of us work out of our own garages.

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
great photos , do any of you use a normal power drill with a flex shaft ? or do you find it a bit harsh ? i have to say i find this very inspiering , also what compound do you use to recut your valves in to the seats ? as i have never done any alloy head work hahahah i was still in the 1950s untill i got my honda

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
First, where'd that post go?

Okay, I'm only saying this once, and I'm not saying to hurt ANY egos....give a monkey an air powered porting tool and a head and you will get a "ported" head, maybe not what you need...but a "ported" head none-the-less...

·
Registered
500 Posts
HA...

wait i dotn get it?

all i know is that my dremel spinning at 35000 RPM is a little too ruff, i was screwing around with some metal parts when i got it and that thing DIGS IN, i went cheap and got the "on or off" one with no speeds, so i need to dig out a transformer that my buddy has so i can adjust the speed :) haahha, suckers.

but yeah... what ever tickless your pickle right?

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
it'd be nice to have a foot operated speed control...like they use for a sewing machine

41 - 60 of 67 Posts