my eg8 daily
364 Posts
here's a few starter pics on the y8 head I'm preppin for my mini-me install

Attachments

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
i'm using a z6 intake and exhaust manifold gaskets for my sizes...intake side of head I opened upt to within .5mm of gasket and intake manifold side will be keeping greater than 1.5mm...the actual port all I did to keep velocity up is only take out the cast pits...actually sanded it to 1000grit then re finished it to have vertical instead of the horizonal finish...I cut it by hand with 320 (wet)....I took the time to blend the ports into the seat better than factory...of note my z6 head is much better in this area over the y8 from the fatory that is....exhaust side I'm keeping port's polished...and b/c of using very free flowing exhaust I'm keeping port opening to within 1.5-2mm of gasket to aide in preventing reversion....I noticed the y8 had tighter bottle necks in the ports over the z6....so I ported the y8's tho match the z6's in the tighter areas....as far as my port splitters...I'm keeping intake bullnosed....but the exhaust side I knife edged........the intake will get a b18b tb and I'll be porting that to match.....also of note...the water port on the z6 is larger....should I match port the outlets to one another?...I plan to match port the water outlet on front of head....also gonna use the z6's burp valve housing since the y8 doesn't have one and I'm tryin for the most oem look!.....got more pics comin btw....this is the exh port after 120 drums...I'm using the carbon on port face as initial line then using gasket to fine tune....

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
i didnt quite understand your wording

are u saying that your exhaust ports are actualy BIGGER than your gasket?

·
Registered
500 Posts
do u have a flowbench where your testing this?

on scary thing with DIY porting is how are u gonna know if one of your chambers doesnt magicaly flow 3-4% better than the rest of them, now you have an engine that doesnt run evenly

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think if you are more or less consistent, it should flow the same... wouldnt be bad to test it...

Its like drawing if u ask me, except you have no eraser....

Edit: make the pics smaller so we can compare side by side...

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
i figured since it's a daily driven car there's no need to go all out...I'm mainly interested in lining up the ports to where I want them and removing just enough material to remove cast line and flash...I noticed that the intake valves are closer together on the y8 head...I took some pic's with a ruler between the 2...so I'll post them soon...the really thing I noticed about the y8 head is the casting line on the intake port splitter is really bad...so in order not to remove to much...it's still barely visable in some places, also, I'm leaving the offset splitter config...i hear it helps with low rpm power...

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
also, just so everyone knows...I'm using modeling clay to get the ports as close as possible....the only one I forsee a problem with is the #1 cylinders's intake port....the oil supply passage for the vtec sol. protrudes into the port

·
Registered
my eg8 daily
364 Posts
heres some shot of the port imperfections that needed blending

shaded areas are bumps in ports that i blended out, seat insert pockets needed blending as well...and the last pic is where I stop until all 4 ports are consistant...then I put a 320 grit finish on them.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Turntune,
Incredible work. I am finally going start on my flowbench project. Hopefully it goes smooth. I am building a room for it in part of my garage. When I finish Ill take some pics. Probably be done with it by the end of the month, depending on work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
7thGear said:
do u have a flowbench where your testing this?

on scary thing with DIY porting is how are u gonna know if one of your chambers doesnt magicaly flow 3-4% better than the rest of them, now you have an engine that doesnt run evenly
do you think that it came from the factory perfectly even? most stuff that is cast will never be exact, so even on a stock set-up, you're not going to get perfect/even flow in all chambers!

*this was explained to me by my friend who is a toolmaker! i'm just expressing his views, which seem to make sense.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts