Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I aquired a set of GT3's from a friend through a trade for stock suspension and steelies with tires. Lol so basically got the for a $100 with new tires.
They were black and i painted over them with Oreilly aluminum look wheel paint. Moved to CO and the project began.

Materials:
Aircraft stripper ( Get the most expensive in a big can will save you lots of time)
Paint Brush
Putty knife
Sandpaper: 60, 120, 240, 500, 1000, 1500 ( Your most likely going to need more of the course grit) Buying the sheets and cutting them into strips is what I did.
Mothers polishing compound ( comes in a lil white can )
Shop rags
Doggy/kitty Bowl and a water source
and LOTS OF TIME AND DETERMINATION.

Didnt plan to make a DIY thread seeing as this was a month ago but i started with original black GT3's with a coat of paint on top.
NOTE: there powder coated wheels making them a bitch to work with. I stripped mine at least 7 times.

Step 1:Apply a thick coat of aircraft stripper to the painted part of the wheel as well as the lip ( alot of lips have a clear coating over them )
Let it set till the paint starts to bubble up (10-15min).
I think the longer the better but not to long because the stripper will stick to the wheel.
Scrape all of the paint off as possible with the putty knife or anything that works well with your wheel.
Repeat until all of the paint is off the wheel.

Step 2:It should have a raw aluminum to it. Congratulations now your ready to have some FUN...
Depending on the condition of your wheels your going to spend alot of time using the coarsest sand paper.
Everything depends on the coarser sand paper for the finished wheel to come out shinin and grindin.
Every little imperfection or scratch that you miss will bring back to step one of sanding, SO TAKE YOUR TIME.
You might have to work the wheel twice with some grits.

The more you sand the better it will look, the wheels have different metals and accumulate on the surface giving it a bumpy ruff texture that alot of the time you can't really notice.
So just make sure you go over it really well with the coarse grit I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
I did all the wheels together with each grit when you get to 240 G it should look ruffly like this...

Notice: the lip is not done i saved it for last with a little TRICK :holla:

As you work up from 240 to 500/600 you can wet it or use it dry. Just see what works better for how well youve sanded.

Everything above 600 should be wet sanding, which brings us to step 3.
Step 3:I bought the sheets of fine paper and cut them into strips.
This is where it gets dirty. Take your strips, a bowl of water and begin.
Your going to want keep the paper from getting dry so continue to dip the paper as you sand.
After the whole wheel is done wash it off and repeat process so you can see what you missed plus it doesnt hurt. Here is what i was working with.

After you've done this to all the wheel it should look something like this.
Stick in there your black hands and black snot will be gone b4 you know it.
D-series.org

Now your ready for the lip: This is where my lil trick comes into play and will save you alot of time.
Conditions of lips:

For just regular scratches youll want to start with something like 100 or coarser just depends.

*If it has alot of curb rash, you can begin with holding a metal object w/ A edge on the lip to smooth it out then start with very coarse sandpaper and work your way up.

To begin:Jack the front of the car up and put it on jack stands.
Remove both wheels ( if there are any ), mount on one rim to be worked on and pop the hood and crank the car ( in neutral ).
Locate your throttle cable adjustment on the IM and adjust it to rev at ruffly 4.5k. Get back in the car and put it into third.
(Might be different for you but you can figure out what works best)

For me 1st and 2nd would not keep the tire going when applying pressure with sandpaper.
So find the gear/rpm that will work. From here you are going to take your strips and hold them on the lip while it spins and does the work for you.
Watch your fingers :ssst:
Work your way up just like you did on the center wheel.
You will notice the lip will get darker as you sand so a rag comes into play to remove the residue and to stop the wheel as well to see where you need to put the sandpaper more to get rid of blemishes.
When you get to the 600+ sandpaper your going to be dipping the sandpaper , tearing off worn parts of paper, and cleaning the black residue off the a wet rag.
Keeping the paper wet constantly is key here to not waste time.
When you're at your final stage paper go ahead and whip out the MOTHERS POLISH and give them a few rounds of polish while they're spinning on a shop rag.
Here is the finished product w/o being polished w/MOTHERS:
[/IMG]

From here your basically done take them to a nice cool place and sit and polish them by hand until your heart is content :gayfight2:.

Any questions or comments lmk.
Keep it civil this is the way I did it, you might have or wouldve done it differently which is okay just done flame. It worked fine for me.

PS: sorry for the large pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
you should have gone to 2000. would have made it that much better. Also you dont need to keep the paper continuously wet. Having a spray bottle with a soapy water solution that you spray onwill work great. But for wet sanding metal the best thing to use is WD-40. Try that and let me know how it works for ya.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you should have gone to 2000. would have made it that much better. Also you dont need to keep the paper continuously wet. Having a spray bottle with a soapy water solution that you spray onwill work great. But for wet sanding metal the best thing to use is WD-40. Try that and let me know how it works for ya.
Well i would have done that but i was on a strict time budget getting kicked out of a house i moved to in CO from TX. They are done now but yea wd-40 sounds like a good idea. B4 the car got stolen i bought engine degreaser and sprayed them down, made them look amazing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts