Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first DIY that's not in the VIP section, So let me know how you like it. I'm also going to review the product I used.

I bought the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit from VIP for $20. Its got everything you need to do the job from start to finish. You just need a cordless screw gun and you're in business.

This was done on my wife's '02 Mitsubishi Lancer that she bought new 8 years ago, the lights are very pitted and "sand blasted" from lots of highway use, 168k to be exact. The light out put started to get worse and worse so it was time to fix 'em.

Time: One light faster then a 9 month month old can finish a 10 ounce bottle.
(explained later)

Materials:
3M kit, screwgun, water sprayer(I used an old glass cleaner bottle)
paper towels and some tape if you want to tape off your paint to avoid hitting it while sanding, I didn't.

So I laid out the kit, It comes with 6 coarse sanding disks, 4 fine sanding discs, 1 very fine sanding pad, one buffer pad and the drive piece for the gun.

Before pic, they were both this bad.

So You start with the coarse sanding disc, medium speed, medium pressure, I did it wet even though the direction say to do it dry, sanding plastic my brain said,"don't be dumb, that shit will clog up on the first pass dry." I sprayed lots of water while doing it, every 8-10 seconds or so. It makes a plastic slurry so you don't want it to get thick and goopy. The key is taking your time. Keep going till you think its done, then sand for another 2 min to be sure you sanded enough. The more complete you do each step, the better the outcome will be. Then switch the coarse disc for the fine disc, sand until all the coarse scratches are out. Lots of water, lots. It keeps the plastic cool and the disc clean.

And after a fresh water spray down.

Now you switch to the very fine sanding pad, lots of water, same as before.
After this step they get sorta clear.

Now time to buff. They give you a cool little buffing pad and some compound to use. Garrett held the gun while I put it on. See he's about half done his bottle. He supervises me while I'm in the garage.

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So you buff with the compound and BAM, your lights are lookin like new!

Before

Big difference.

Now critique constructively:bigok:

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh and to add, the kit is great, I have enough to do the Delcamino too, but that will be another day.

Edit: Another day is here.

OK, I polished the Sol's lights tonight. Here are the before pics.

And the afters.

So one kit can do 2 cars if you use plenty of water and don't F up the sanding discs.:yes:

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Looks great dude :TU: I love my ej1's glass headlights though ;)

Reactions: jeremy85

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Lookin good! Should post this on EvolutionM.net though...but a good DIY regardless.

My Lancer's headlights were starting to do that too right before it got traded in.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I did this at my last job, works great.

we used a setup that came with more grits of sandpaper and the process was more involved, we used a polisher and a cleaner at the end to.

for really hazed lights
sander
1000 wet
3000 wet

polisher
cleaner
polisher

The thing is that angle grinder/sanders we used where just cheap made in tawian tools that I think Harbor freight sells actually. and the guy that sold us the kit and demonstrated how to use it was saying that the different guns for sanding and polishing had a purpose. I think one was orbital and one the rpm was lower or something....

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this at my last job, works great.

we used a setup that came with more grits of sandpaper and the process was more involved, we used a polisher and a cleaner at the end to.

Yeah, there should be a grit in between the first 2 discs imo, its like it jumps from 500 grit to 3000, but overall great real world results for a great price that almost anyone can do.:yes:

And I did throw a coat of wax on them too.

Reactions: guest

·
Registered
2006 scion xb rs 4.0
32 Posts
Nice review.I've had my buddy doing this for my mustangs since 1998 man fords are bad for this but the kit is real close to what he does might have to try this on the wifes pt cruiser this weekend.

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Added more pics up there^^^

·
Registered
99 Civic Ex coupe
431 Posts
Look brand new! We sell these kits at advance now i have some proof this kit is worth the cost. I've always wondered about them but never got around to using any of the kits we sell at advance auto parts.

Turtle wax seems to be the big seller, now theres also a rainX kit. Anyone got any input or comparsion photos of the other kits too?

Def. a well written DIY!

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
I used this kit a few months back on my 2.2CL...made a WORLD of difference! And for like $20, you can't beat it! Yellow pad, white pad, polish, buff, done. And you're right, use LOTS of water so it doesn't load up.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
^ Has to have at least one CAPITALIZED word per post.

It's a fact.

Reactions: E. Jeezy

·
Registered
94 Del Sol
30 Posts
damn sold!! im getting one asap....randomly ive got one foggy head light....I thought about just buying a new one but screw that!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts