Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Eg Sedan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone on DSO and guests.

For the longest time, I've had quite a bit of slop in my shifter. About a 3 inch range of side to side motion when in any gear. This made my 1-2 shift TERRIBLE and made it feel like gear lockout when revving out the car. For $14.99 a friend and I have solved this problem. Can be done in about 30 minutes if moving quickly.
All of my slop was in the U joint near the trans. I am well aware of the no slop linkage that is offered by RCautoworks. But not all of us can drop 130$ on shifter linkage, especially when this does the job for much less and little work effort.

Video of the U Joint that connects to transmission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFJHFneGmb4

THE PARTS YOU NEED
1 grade 8 bolt 3/8-16 x 2-1/2 #880190
1 grade 8 lock nut 3/8-16 #883184
2 brass bushings #882995
1 steel spacer zinc 3/8 x 1/2 x 1-1/2 #880418
1 steel spacer zinc 1/2 x 5/8 x 1-1/2 #880421

First remove the linkage off the car.
Next you will grind this rivet off of the linkage.

Next you will insert the small sleeve you purchased from lowe's, into the bigger sleeve.

Push the sleeve into ONE of the brass bushings (takes some effort with a hammer)
We like tight fits with our shifters
Image below shows what the bushing looks like, how it will be in the actual linkage joint part. Do NOT put the bushing together 100%, as one brass bushing with the pin goes into the joint part, then you will press the other brass bushing in.

You will need a punch to put the sleeve into the middle of the brass bushings, as the sleeve is not the full length of two bushings put together. This does NOT effect how the shifter will feel.

To get the brass bushings inside the actual joint, you will need to make this part a 1/2" hole where the original bushings were.

This is how it looks assembled. Notice how the sleeve sits a little bit inside the bushings.

A 3/8" drill bit will be needed on this part of the actual linkage piece that way our new bolt will fit.

SHIFTER after installation!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt94ztXmJ2U

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
All you need is a brand new sealed universal joint welded in place of the stock one. Or if you're feeling brave, make your own boot over a cheap UJ and secure it with zip ties and fill it with grease. That's pretty much what RCAutoworks offers. Not knocking their service, just giving some info.

·
Registered
Eg Sedan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I'm aware
Just posting this for those that don't have a welder or may be afraid to cut their own linkage if it's a daily like mine
This is just a temp fix for myself until I can afford the RCAutoworks linkage. This is cheaper than the u joint and requires basic tools to complete.

I seen the diy on crx community about what you're speaking of, and I didn't feel that brave haha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great job and nice write up, thanks!

To get the brass bushings inside the actual joint, you will need to make this part a 1/2" hole.
So did you have to bore out the hole in the original joint in order to fit the brass bushings?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Cool write up, my shyts sloppy like goose poop. Will do this next time I pull my tranny....phrasing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems like this should ideally be done to both halves of the joint. Do you think that it would be worth doing the same process to the portion welded to the bar?

·
Registered
339 Posts
This looks almost exactly what I did to my linkage in my build thread but I did both joints and it feels like a s2000 shifter now.

Good write up.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Better have a vice on hand!! Ive got a heavy duty vice and needed to put a breaker bar on the handle to get them to all squeeze together and Im no wimp @ 200lbs. But my god is the shifting ever CRISP after doing this and the hardrace vulcanized rubber bushings all at once.

Thanks again for all the part numbers and doing the leg work OP!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad you posted this, I have my transmission out of my car at the moment so now's a great time to address the slop with this solution.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I think I'm Going to try this with the spare linkage I have. Than do a comparison to the rc one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts