Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my car was broken into about 2weeks ago and jacked up my entire column. So I ended up having to replace my whole column and I finally said. F this. Imma get me a wheel. So here it goes.

I do not take responsible for any issues you might come across by doing this. Perform this takes at your own risk.

Tools:
19mm Socket
Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
T30 Star Bit
Screw Driver

Step One
Put your wheel in the straightest position then disconnect the battery for AT LEAST 2HRS just to make sure the air bag wont deploy as your handling it.

Step Two
Take the T30 Star bit and unscrew two screws located on the sides of the steering wheel. Shown with the yellow arrows in the picture below.

Step Three
Once you get the two screws out and pry the airbag itself back you'll find something like the picture below. Disconnect the clips indicated with the yellow arrows. Once thats done. Take the 19MM socket and take the big nut in the middle out.

So, once you take the nut out. Place yourself in a firm footing position and grab the wheel by left hand at 9oclock and right hand at 3oclock and start tugging and wiggling left and right.

Step Four
Once you are able to take the wheel off you'll encounter something like the what the picture below shows. Start by unscrewing the 3 screws indicated by yellow arrows.

The SRS Reel will have 2 wires attached sticking out of it so just fallow the wire and you'll end up at another yellow SRS plug. Just unplug it and TADA. SRS Reel is out.

Step Five
Take your NRG HUB and place it on the steering rod or whatever its called and make sure its placed in an upright position like the picture below and screw back the nut.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step Six
Now, take your quick release [The piece that the yellow arrow is pointing at]

THEN bolt it down with the screws provided. It should look something like the picture below.

Step Seven
Now, take the second piece of the quick release and place it on the piece that you just bolted down onto the hub and once thats in place. You can start bolting down your steering wheel to the quick release. It should look like the picture provided below.

Once your done with it. Take a good happy look back and smile at what you just did.

End result.

w00t w00t!

As some of you guys might notice that I didnt wire up the two wires that were on the quick release and the hub. Thats or the horn button. I havent decided to connect to yet. LOL

Also, by doing this you'll have your SRS light stay on. What I did about this issue was solved by taking out the light bulb in the cluster for the SRS light. hahaha

Hoped I helped those in the future. Cheers.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
Also, by doing this you'll have your SRS light stay on. What I did about this issue was solved by taking out the light bulb in the cluster for the SRS light. hahaha
i did this in my mazda mx3 and the airbag light kept going on so i took out the bulb but i kept getting a beeping sound. lol great writeup sammo looks awesome :TU:

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Steering wheel looks great! Almost makes me want to spend my money on the wheel before some other more important things.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GJ but you shoulda broke down and removed all of the SRS stuff
I would do that but what if I get a fix it ticket for not having a steering wheel with an airbag? Then what? Id have to go thru all that hassle of plugging everything back when if I ever do get a bs ticket like that, I can just plug one plug for the srs reel and bam! done.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
didnt we just have this discussion about airbags and tickets?
I thought you cant get a ticket for it?

nice write up dude!
repped.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah we did but there is still some confusion. So until things get figured out. Why not just keep ur old wheel and the rest of the srs stuff just in case. No harm in that :) cause sometimmes cops will be cops and bs you about things so yeah hahaha

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
yeah, its weird out here.
They do a safety check.
blinkers, mirrors, horn, seatbelts(i think),windsheild wipers, i think thats all...lol
but i need more go fast. no monies for a fancy wheel. but when i do, i will reference this!

·
Registered
same as above
861 Posts
i like the way you did the pics, good write up

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Next time we hang out, can I borrow your wheel for about 5 minutes? I want to see if I like the way it feels better than my Momo. I love the way yours looks.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Hahaha. Sure. Which Momo do you have?
Momo Tuner 350mm. I would like to have a fresher steering wheel. My red stitch is faded. I would like to have it to match my fresh black w red stitch items in my integra. :pinch:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts