Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this will be my first DIY on this forum, and I know it's not the best, but it gives you a general idea of what to do. This isn't really a step by step kind of thing. It's more of a "here's how I did it so you can get an idea for it". I got the inspiration from a Scion forum where this guy used a Monster cap and Yoohoo cap for the shift boot collar. I work at a cafe bakery called 85ºC and they gave me a new apron because my old one (the one used for the shift boot) got a hole in it.

Okay so here is my old apron from work that I'm cutting up. I'm using my old shift boot for a template

Trace the old boot and cut the fabric with scissors. I made mine a little bigger than the old boot just for safety's sake.

Then sew it all up!

Comparison with the old boot. I kinda messed up with one of the patterns I cut out, so I had to sew on a little bit extra.

Sew the two halves together and you have a shift boot! Cut some holes in the bottom so you can fit them over the prongs on the metal frame for the boot.

Test fitting in my car.

Now for the collar.
I was in BevMo! with my girl looking for drinks to take to Vegas. And then I saw the Disaronno bottle and I liked the cap. So I got a 50mL bottle (the tiny ones) and drank up so I could use the cap for the collar. You can use virtually any cap you like. If you like Tyku caps or some other cool-looking better, then use that. You could even use a pool ball if that's your kind of thing.

Aaaaaannnnnnd it's gone.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now we find ourselves at a drill press. What I decided to do is use a wine cork to put the cap on. Both the cap and the cork would get a hole through them just big enough to be snug on the shifter. My dad had a carbon fiber tube laying around from the handlebar post of his road bicycle, so he let me use that to fit over the cork.

For me, the cork was a bit too big, so I had to shave it down with a big file.

Here's how it works. The cork slides onto the shaft and goes into the top hole of the shift boot. Then the fabric is pulled over the cork so the carbon fiber collar can slide over the cork and fabric, holding the fabric in place.

Keep a little bit of the cork exposed, just enough for the cap to fit over it. Again, I needed to shave down the cork so the cap would fit. If you're like me and have a shift knob that doesn't go past the threads, then you can put the top surface of the cap right below the threads. Also, if you're like me and have a shift knob from 9K Racing, don't forget your thread adapter! Make sure the hole in the cap is just big enough to fit the shaft though it.

And this is our finished product!

Let me know how you guys like it.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Everything looks good, nice use of the liquor bottle cap.

But your shifter looks like something off crash bandicoot

EDIT: I repped the wrong person at first lol.

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
Nice job dude!!!

I made one for my S13, I can post pics if you want me too

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOLZ Crash Bandicoot. Man, childhood memories. It's a 9K shift knob. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't say it's boring or "meh" at all.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Sweet dildo, bro.

Might stitch my own out of some bandana fabric.:thug life:
HAHAHAH Beat me to it!

My wife said, "oh cute. Is that a woman's stick shift?!?"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAA

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
i always thought it would be funny to use a dildo for a shifter.

aly for grips on a bike. i told my bmx friends to do that lol. or a dildo seat for the bike.
lol.
it would be fun tho to get a car and have a dildo for the shifter and ebrake. then take it to some valet parking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts