Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: Please do NOT go by my wire colors. Use boomslang's diagram(below)

Heres how to make your own obd-0 to obd-1 dizzy adapters.

Stuff Needed:
-OBD-0 dizzy plug with wires
-OBD-1 dizzy plug with wires
-Soldering gun/iron. I've had a few, and this is my favorite. it's a butane one from RadioShack for $20.
-Solder. use what you like, I wanna say(from memory) this stuff is .35". Also from Radio Shack for about $3
-Wire stippers.
-Heat Shrink tubing. This is sold Everywhere. Home Depot, Lowes, RadioShack...
-Time. It only took me about 30min to do it, but it's also my first one, and I took some extra time to MAKE SURE of my wiring before I soldered it. Please Take Your Time!

1. Gather your stuff

2. Useing Boomslang's Installation Instructions on page 6; If you don't have Adobe, use This PIC, and find the correct connection.
*Note* Don't forget to slide the Heat Shrink tubing on before you get to soldering! And make SURE of your connections.

3. Start soldering after your SURE of your connections.

This helped me in the process of soldering the wires. I held the other wires down with the wire stippers. You can obviously use anything you want, but these were right in front of me. It just kept the other wires out of the way, and I didn't have to worry so much about burning them accidentally while focusing on the main wire I was soldering.

4. Now once you've finished wiring them all up, go ahead and heat-shrink the wires. If your not too familiar with the process of heat-shrinking, don't fret- it's a piece of cake. All you do is slip the tubing over the exposed wires and apply heat not directly to the tubing, but close to it. What I did was left my soldering gun on low and hovered it over the tubing, and it worked like a charm.

5. Do what you like from here on out. tape the wires up, cover them with wire looming like I did in this picture, it doesnt matter. I'd suggest doing this just for protection. I didn't leave it like this, I did this and then followed it up with electrical tape wrapped all the way around the length of the adapter, from plug to plug. The reason I used such a little amount of looming is so that the plugs can bend and I won't have to worry so much about pins being under pressure. (Which is the sole reason of this little project.)

Please enjoy, and tell your friends.
Comments welcome as always.
-Andrew

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
rep for this post :TU:, although a full description with wire locations would have been prime.

i made mine as well, but my gas ass soldering iron wouldnt work, so just used butt connectors :p

ya, im ghetto...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
rep for this post :TU:, although a full description with wire locations would have been prime.
Well, since Honda decided to move the wire locations between the years, just a wire color chart would be enough.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That is going to help out a ton of people. Rep for you!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i did a obd0 to 0bd1 conversion for a friend once.. and i repinned the whole thing.. it was a pain in the butt.. but it worked.. that looks like it would have made it a lot easier.. good writeup

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn soon ur gonna have a library or a wide selection of DIY
Well, if you'll notice I posted all of my DIY's all in about 5 min of eachother. I have them organized in my pictures folders and have the forum text saved in .RTF on word, so all I have to do it copy/paste when I join a new site.

I've got about 4 more that I'm finishing up, but can't post 'em up because there not quite done yet.(current projects)

Thanks for the reps fellas!
-Andrew

·
Registered
107 Posts
http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da/how-wire-your-own-obd-0-obd-1-distributor-wiring-adapter-73435/

Are you the same guy that posted this over at Honda Swap? All the wire colors are wrong because you used aftermarket distributor plugs, and then I even found out that you wired yours up wrong and you admitted that you didn't ever test it. I compared the pin locations in your second pic to the OEM distributor plugs that I have in my hand. Then I looked at the conversion chart and discovered yours is all wrong.

"Large white" is too vague since on the distributor plugs I have, both white wires are the same gauge. There seems to have been some variation in the OBD0 distributor plugs.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
That would be cool if you could work backwards from OBD2 - OBD1 anyone have info on that?
i dont have any info or anything.. but obd2 dizzys and obd1 dizzy's use different kind of pins.. i know because i have a obd2a dizzy on my type r swap and i tried repinning a obd1 dizzy on it and it wouldnt work.. but idk how it works i didnt do the swap.. i think its a full type r harness even the obd2 injectors

1 - 20 of 35 Posts