Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is the Easiest way to remove the lower ball joint. Its the same on both sides of the car. 1 jack up the car and put your car on jack stands.2 Remove Rims and tires. 3 Remove lower Ball joint castle nut. 4 Place the Car Jack under the bolt of the castle nut you just removed or the break disk and ( Do not hammer that bolt at all not good times) pump up the jack stand your suspension will compress upwards. 5 Now with suspension pumped up put a socket length wise (Maybe a spark plug socket make sure the socket fits snug) in the space just above the arm that is holding the ball joint tight, (Again make sure it sits snug in there) now release the pressure from the Jack and the arm should pop free from the bolt. Yes the socket will sit up next to the ball joint to. Here is a pic. So you can see the ball joint and get an idea where the socket needs to go. I did this and it is super easy...As long as you have not Waffled out the bolt of the Balljoint in which case you will have to use a Pickle Fork.

And I would like to say thank you to the person who gave me this info.

Attachments

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
So you're talking about separating the ball joint from the control arm, not removing the ball joint, right?

I would suggest just buying one of these from HF for $17 with a coupon.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So you're talking about separating the ball joint from the control arm, not removing the ball joint, right?

This tool looks EXTREMELY useful for damn near any balljoint on any car though. If its actually 20 bucks Im buying it for sure! ++ thanks

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is just to brake the bond between the lower ball joint and the control arm i think thats what it is called. I think Whoshot told me about this i cant remember. However i used the 8lb mallet shot,Pickle fork and then there is this way.......Honestly cake walk. Easiest way ever. But that's just me. I m not sure about the rest of the ball joints but the lower one way is perfect. As a side note to prelude the tool in the post above looks pretty Bad ass. I might just have to look into one of these for sure

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The trick he talks about is well known, theres a good video of it on Youtube.

It also works like a hot damn on any ball joint that spreads or closes. So basically all of them.

But one word of advice, dont jack up anything on your ball joint stud thats just asking to fuck it up. Create space for your socket or pry bar or what ever by jacking up the knuckle on the LCA somewhere, insert tool into the gap you created between the LCA and knuckle, lower LCA (usually it just pops right now) and if you have to curb stomp the bitch. :D

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Bone showed me the curb stomp method. We used a large socket drive, 1\2 inch I think. This seems like there would be less chance for the socket to slip out. Sometimes my foot would hit the dive and it would slip out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
I had a good time with a ford lower ball joint the other day. Just to grasp size the castle nut was 24mm iirc. Put tension on the bottom using a jack and hammered away and a short while later pop. Only problem with pickle forks or separators is taring the boot. There hasnt been one yet i couldnt remove by just whacking a few times with a hammer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a good time with a ford lower ball joint the other day. Just to grasp size the castle nut was 24mm iirc. Put tension on the bottom using a jack and hammered away and a short while later pop. Only problem with pickle forks or separators is taring the boot. There hasnt been one yet i couldnt remove by just whacking a few times with a hammer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
lol...Yea....First time I did the lower ball joint ummmmm. I used the hammer and waffled the [email protected] out of the bolt lesson learned. lol. You don't beat the crap out of the bolt and the control arm and not expect problems removing the control arm from the Ball joint. I finally got a pickle fork and the ball joint was so torn back that it literally splayed open my pickle fork half an inch on both sides. So yea with me this was definitely a learning curve. But I learned and now I know a super quick way to remove the control arm from the ball joint. And thanks Farmer D for the clarification.

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
learn how to use a hammer before using a hammer
Yea for sure.....Lol (My famous last words I got this as the car falls onto my foot). Then I get all cartoon character ish as my foot turns into a sidewalk pancake. :wacko:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

This is the trick way, works if you don't have the tool.

The right to for the job, is by far the best way.

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
ive had a couple lower ball joints that wouldnt come apart with this method. The press tool that slips over the lower control arm and presses the shaft inwards works marvelously however.

when in doubt BFH it.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts