Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought some Precision 880cc injectors off a guy on craigslist, found them for an awesome price. $150

He didnt know how many miles were on them; would you send them out to be cleaned?

I would hate to send my injectors out to be cleaned, just to find out they were fine already and just wasted $70 i couldve spent elsewhere. do you think its worth it?

I had an idea for self cleaning, I know a lot of people have built their own rigs to test injectors themselves, but I thought this might be simpler:
- What about plugging in the injectors to the fuel rail
- after relieving all the pressure, disconnect the fuel line to the rail
- and dump all the extra fuel out of the rail
- fill rail with carb cleaner or something of the sorts
- and dont bother bolting it back to the intake, just get a bucket, and have a buddy turn the ignition to ONII to prime the system?

I could be overlooking a big component here, and could feel like a huge idiot shortly, but hell thats what you guys are for right? :bigok:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
if you send them somewhere they will test them first.
the test is cheap. the cleaning is what adds up. they test them and then will clean them and get them flowing all even again
i would do it. rather then later down the road you find out one is clogging up

·
Registered
39 Posts
well i think when u clean injectors they do a large pressure test to get all the trash etc. out of the injectors (im guessin) and im not sure what kinda chemicals they use to clean them with

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unless you actually try and start the car the injectors wont open fuel will just travel through the rail from feed line to return line... besides that I don’t think carb cleaner will be that great to clean the injectors or good for them... send them to get tested and cleaned its always better to be 100% sure especially when it comes to fuel, a little money is worth the peace of mind. :bigok:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol i know you guys are right... whenever people ask for advice the answer is always "spend more money" haha, dammit lol what did i expect.

it is true though, a little assurance is worth a lot. i was just curious what you guys would do in the situation.

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
I would send them off to be flow tested, then cleaned if necessary.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
Id get them tested for peace of mind and to know exactly what you have, then if they need to be cleaned then oh well. If its a reputable service the injectors will come back fully rebuilt with filters and O-rings, even pintle caps if needed. Oh and they dont put like 100psi to blow the crap threw the injectors, thats why they have filters in them...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dude do not put the injectors in the fuel rail without bolting it back to the intake and then turning the key on. If you do you will have four missiles coming at you with 35 to 45 psi of pressure. And if youdo just be careful and take a video.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude do not put the injectors in the fuel rail without bolting it back to the intake and then turning the key on. If you do you will have four missiles coming at you with 35 to 45 psi of pressure. And if youdo just be careful and take a video.
hahahahah see i told you i was missing something really stupid hahaha. if i did i definitely would have taken a video.

looks like im sending these bad boys out to be cleaned.

·
Registered
242 Posts
no problem. glad i could help out. ha ha i mean the only reason i found that thread was cause i strait up googled injector cleaning lol
gl with everything man

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Its not as bad as you think. I've tested injectors by pulling the fuel rail and turning the car over to determine which one is not firing. And a quick DIY clean is easy. Buy a $25 ultrasonic jewelery cleaner from Harbor Freight, fill it halfway with Seafoam and run the injectors in there for about an hour. Done and done.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You can clean them your self just like this:

Soak injectors in something like chem-dip carb cleaner.
Pull filter out of top of injectors.
Pull injectors out wire up a 9v battery to them to open them up.
Spray carb cleaner through them with them open.
Blow compressed air through them to dry them out.
Install new filters in them.
Reinstall in car.

There is a write up this somewhere on a mustang forum. I found it a while back and posted it on a 4x4 forum. I will try to find the link again.

Here is the link to the write up.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Its not as bad as you think. I've tested injectors by pulling the fuel rail and turning the car over to determine which one is not firing. And a quick DIY clean is easy. Buy a $25 ultrasonic jewelery cleaner from Harbor Freight, fill it halfway with Seafoam and run the injectors in there for about an hour. Done and done.
This is probably the best method and how many companies clean their injectors(though the injectors are pulsed while submerged).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so it seems the majority of you are leaning toward a diy method... heres what i might do. i like the idea of the ultra sonic cleaning, and i might run a few different cleaning methods, but i found a place locally that does injector flow testing and cleaning.

Ill go get them flow tested, diy clean, and get flow tested again and report back with results in a few weeks.

im not trying to blow up my 350whp build because of one shitty injector ;)

thanks for all the input guys, quality thread!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts