Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, alot of us have the problem of just gross sediment and crud stuck to the walls of our overflow tanks. I know ive tried in the past without much success, tried brake clean, soapy water, never worked, always stayed brown and gross. But I have found a way to make it spotless in every nook and cranny

First obviously take it out of the car

So gross

Then all you need is a few basic things most of us have at home, I spray brake cleaner into the bottom of the tank, maybe 10 second worth of spraying of a fresh can, should be about 100-150ml of fluid, then I take a general cleaner and pour it in, whatever you have on hand will be fine, just something to add volume.

Then this part is the KEY to the magic. Add rice, yep, regular uncooked rice. About 3/4 cup is plenty.

Put the cap back on or cover with you hand and shake it in weird directions getting the rice to move around, 30 seconds should be more than enough

Dump that crud out, give it a rinse with water and it should be as clean as new!

I should mention that I also did my brothers overflow on his EG and tried only spray nine and rice and it didnt work nearly ass good (tried to be cheap and save the brake clean, but at most its a 1/5th of a can). Brake cleaner does all the cleaning work and is necessary, and the rice is the perfect size and grit to scrub it clean

I bet you could use gravel aswell, but the ground is frozen here lol

Clean em out boys :gayfight2:

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
nice diy, sir!

repped.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im always in to much of a hurry to take pics for some reason even when I plan to lol. It is literally new looking though. Mine wasnt TOO bad since its only been used for 2 years since new. But my brothers was DISGUSTING and it made it perfect again.

He can actually see the coolant level now lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
No doubt. I just cleaned the outside of my power steering resevoir when i put it back in the car yesterday. Makes a huge difference even in my messy unfinished bay

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I've got a cool GReddy plastic tank in my Aristo but it's kinda scummy. Will try this and post pics!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts