Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smoke color change in your exhaust is normal through the powerband since condensation. Maybe some oil chillin in the system. Anything. But one thing that is a clear indication if you can verify a/f ratios don't change drastically. 13:1.... 13:1... 9:1 on gasoline = color change from fuel over contamination in the air... ie- to much carbon from to rich burn = color change

Anyways... so on the dyno is easier but there are so many other ways you can even see it in the graph. Do a pull with someone driving 50 feet behind in the next lane over (whatever) have their passenger watch your exhaust pipe steadily. Hopefully someone that can see the snap difference.

The pressure waves will send shocks of colored smoke through the exhaust and sometimes if bad enough to notice on plugs but not hear it. That may even cause a looser fitting exhaust to shake from the way. I watch it on the dyno all the time.

I fugured since everyone is always looking for a way to keep an eye on engine quality up I figured if you think about it and it bothers you run a little test and see if it is what your experiencing. Another way is a single wire motorcycle tachometer. But that's another discussion to monitor speratic detonation.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Smoke color change in your exhaust is normal through the powerband since condensation. Maybe some oil chillin in the system. Anything. But one thing that is a clear indication if you can verify a/f ratios don't change drastically. 13:1.... 13:1... 9:1 on gasoline = color change from fuel over contamination in the air... ie- to much carbon from to rich burn = color change

Anyways... so on the dyno is easier but there are so many other ways you can even see it in the graph. Do a pull with someone driving 50 feet behind in the next lane over (whatever) have their passenger watch your exhaust pipe steadily. Hopefully someone that can see the snap difference.

The pressure waves will send shocks of colored smoke through the exhaust and sometimes if bad enough to notice on plugs but not hear it. That may even cause a looser fitting exhaust to shake from the way. I watch it on the dyno all the time.

I fugured since everyone is always looking for a way to keep an eye on engine quality up I figured if you think about it and it bothers you run a little test and see if it is what your experiencing. Another way is a single wire motorcycle tachometer. But that's another discussion to monitor speratic detonation.
by the time you notice it that way, the car goes boom

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If your not a n00b you can hear moderate detonation
Plugs show light detonation very well

All those other tricks make very little sense to me.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
and you wonder why someone (like me) walks around a car while it is on the dyno.

When the tuner (Blundar) is in the seat he can't see shit.

I'm there to learn and observe, but also to prevent anything major if I see something go bad. It's the reason I like hanging around the dyno when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts