Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't really seen any instructions on how to fix the seat foam when it breaks. I have 4th gen Prelude seats in my EJ8 that I got from a junkyard. They were cheap, but the driver seat foam was jacked up on one side. I fixed the one side bolster, and then the other side eventually started tearing. So I thought I'd share with you guys how I go about doing it!

Here's the things you'll need:
-hot glue gun and glue sticks
-tools to remove seat from car (sockets and ratchet)
-small zipties and cutters to cut tails
-tin snips or needle nose pliers
-screwdriver(s) to remove plastic trim on seat (if needed)

BTW, these are the kind of small zip ties you'll need:

Step 1: Remove the seat from your car and take a picture of how the metal clips (little bent metal ovals that hold the fabric together) are on the fabric. Then start cutting off the little metal clips holding the fabric on (or pulling out if you don't have tin snips).

Step 2: Check out how your foam is ripped and figure out where you're going to apply glue.

Step 3: Once you've got a plan of attack for gluing, plug in the glue gun and heat it up.

Step 4: Start gluing! Put a liberal amount of glue on each half, more isn't going to hurt it at all. And don't worry about making it look pretty, it's going to be covered by the fabric anyway. You're basically going to glue the two halves back together and pinch them until the glue dries hard (sometimes you can use a clamp). Make sure to do only A LITTLE SECTION AT A TIME. Smaller portions are more manageable to pinch the halves and make sure the bond is really strong.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 5: Once you've finished the whole tear, let it dry for a few minutes just to be safe. Hot glue dries to a really hard substance, so you can feel when it's fully dry. When you're sure it's dry, gently slip the fabric back over the foam and start to button it up.

Then go smash that seat back in and enjoy! It's worth noting that your seat won't feel just like how it used to before it broke, but it'll feel a lot better than having a metal frame poke your back and shoulders.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
theyre called hog rings fyi. so, how do you fix a rusted out seat pan? my seats are extra coushy, theres just no metal to hold my ass off the floor if I slide all the way back

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theyre called hog rings fyi. so, how do you fix a rusted out seat pan? my seats are extra coushy, theres just no metal to hold my ass off the floor if I slide all the way back
Thanks for the info! haha didn't know they're called that. And sorry, can't help you with the rusted seat pan, dunno how to fix that.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
you can pick up those hogrings and some dirt cheap pliers at most autoparts stores or amazon. I actually recommend the flimsy cheap ones for seats because the nice ones end up being too big to maneuver into the seat for a good clamp most of the time. some hardware stores sell the ones for pulling bacon around but they are usually too large.

nice work fixing it yourself! sometimes that makes it seem twice as comfy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts