Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i been meaning to make this for a while now. Just havent gotten around to it till now.

Been in a rush the pass few days and when i check my oil i forgot to close the hood down all the way. Happen to my at less 2 times this week. The first time I caught it when i get to the first red light on my drive. But once i got on the free and see the hood moving so exited to close it. So i said it was time to make my light.

Ok now on to the diy.
Part list :

Hood Pin switch. (most of the time comes with your alarm. Or can be brought for like $3 online)
LED color of your own choice. (mines was red)
resistor for the led. ( i use 470k most of the time)
Solder and soldering iron
Tape
Cluster bulb holder. (got mines from my old ej1 that i installed el golw gauges on.)
Wire and connnectors
etc.. anything i might have forgotten but is pictured.

Now the steps :

First Mount the hood switch. Every car and person will do this different. So here is a pix of how i mounted mines.

You have to adjust it so that when the hood is open/popped the switch will ground out.
I did a continuity from the switch to the battery and adjusted till it was right.

Next you need to run the wire from the hood switch wire into the cab.
(sorry no pictures but i just ran it on the driver side where the factory wires go in at.)

Now remove the cluster and go inside to the nice cold ac.

The Light :

I de-pin a factory bulb holder. Simply pulled the little pins out.
Then i drilled a whole in the bottom.

This is the holder the brownish part.

Got my led, cut the power leg down and solder the resistor to it. Then solder a wire to each leg. Taped each wire by itself.

Now push the wires through the hole on the bulb holder. Should look like this.

I made a quick disconnect just in case i need to remove the cluster. You dont have to tho.
Well now the light is ready to go.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wiring :
Run the hood switch ground wire to the ground of the led.
Then use an + 12v ignition wire for the led power.

All this comes together and works like this.
If the key is in the car and turn/on with the hood popped/open the led will light.
If the car is off or key not turn but hood open the led will NOT light.

Cluster Icon.

Ok well you gotta take apart your cluster to get to the icon panel.
(sorry no tear down pics as its been covers online alot for each civic yr)

Pick the spot where you want the light. Now sand down the area till light can pass through.

I didnt feel like trying to print out icon and size them and all that crap so i just took a marker and drew mines out.

Ended up going with out the icon because i lost the drawing by the time i went to install it in the car.
This is how it looked

This is how the car sits now. Ill draw another icon and pop it in another day. Its been to hot outside and i dont feel like going back out to get the cluster

This guide can be used for adding a vtec light or door ajar light.
On the door ajar light you would tap into the door triger wire on each door. Then diode them and run them to the led. I thought about doing a left and right door light but i truly dont need it as i know my doors are always close.

for vtec light. Just ground out the led. Then slice into the vtec + 12v wire and you all good. You can get the wire from ecu or under the hood.

Will try to update with picture of hood switch as soon as i can get it off my camera

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never had this problem, because I just slam my hood shut each time. It's a great DIY, so +1 rep

edit: "you need to spread more rep before giving it to Xile6 again"
Yea I normally slam it but lately I would just pop it and forget I did and nver open or close the hood.
I know a few days ago I ran over a stick and heard something grinding. So popped the hood and got out the car. Ended up looking under the car and found out it was a stick I ran over. So grabed it and got back in the car. So the hood was popped. Didn't know till I got on the freeway.

And thanx all for the rep.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Yea I normally slam it but lately I would just pop it and forget I did and nver open or close the hood.
I know a few days ago I ran over a stick and heard something grinding. So popped the hood and got out the car. Ended up looking under the car and found out it was a stick I ran over. So grabed it and got back in the car. So the hood was popped. Didn't know till I got on the freeway.

And thanx all for the rep.
Yeah, if you look at alot of new cars they have it, because people forget and some people have the hood fly open on the freeway (not fun :) )

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
did something similar however, for me instead of having a idiot light on the cluster I actually wired mine for a underhood light so I could check oil or trouble shoot on the side of the road in the middle of the night. used oem parts off a dodge dakota for the bulb holder (looks stock), relay, and hood pin switch. Works like a charm ;)

·
Registered
92 vx hatch
95 Posts
excellent job. would have helped this yellow crx the other night driving with his hood on his windshield

1 - 8 of 8 Posts