Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone here hone their own blocks using the drill method? if the cylinders arent ovaled, are still stock bore, and doesnt have any deep scrape or scratches then this should work shouldnt it? i know this is cheap to have done at a shop, but there's very few shops around here especially dealing with hondas, maybe one or two.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
I honestly would not pay a shop to hone my blocks unless it was necessary. Pretty easy to do

Always used the bar hones with no problems, even when I re-ringed my clone gs160

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
most people are confused at the difference in the types of hones and their uses.

a stone style (bar) hone is a deglazer, its purpose is simply to get rid of the glazed surface on the cylinder walls, thats it.

the ball stone style hone is for oil control, however it will deglaze the cylinders just as well as the bar style.

i should mention i'm speaking of the flexible types that you get at part stores or whatever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most people are confused at the difference in the types of hones and their uses.

a stone style (bar) hone is a deglazer, its purpose is simply to get rid of the glazed surface on the cylinder walls, thats it.

the ball stone style hone is for oil control, however it will deglaze the cylinders just as well as the bar style.

i should mention i'm speaking of the flexible types that you get at part stores or whatever.
with that said, should i use a bar hone to deglaze, then go back over it with the ball type hone? or if i deglazed it with the stone and the cross hatch was there would i need to do anything else?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if this is your first time please use a ball hone they are much more forgiving then a stone hone, to use ball hone use good quality penetrating oil for lube, put the hone in and do 5 strokes with drill in reverse and then 15 strokes with drill in forward, spin the drill as fast as it goes and go in and out as fast as you can, and pull the hone out still spinning. this is how i do it and this is how i was tough by my machinest and i have done lots of engines useing this method and all have never smoked or had blow by

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
with that said, should i use a bar hone to deglaze, then go back over it with the ball type hone? or if i deglazed it with the stone and the cross hatch was there would i need to do anything else?
You can just use the ball type hone. Remember to use some honing oil with it and it would be best to use a drill press to do it on because then it is straight. Even though it is flexable if you don't do it straight up and down fast it will distort the walls and make it uneven in some cases. You can take it to any machine shop and should just be $30-$40, it doesn't have to be a Honda specific shop.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
honing oils isnt good to use with a ball hone, honing oil is ment for a stone(bar) hone, penetrating oil is best for a ball hone or even atf is ok. and you dont need a drill press, a 1/2 chuck corded drill and your arms work great. you would have to hold the drill at a 90* angle to cut the cylinder uneven with a ball hone, the ball hone dont take much meterial at all out of the cylinder and it wont square up a unsquare cylinder just breaks the glaze and sets a new cross hatch, these are only for freshen ups

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
if this is your first time please use a ball hone they are much more forgiving then a stone hone, to use ball hone use good quality penetrating oil for lube, put the hone in and do 5 strokes with drill in reverse and then 15 strokes with drill in forward, spin the drill as fast as it goes and go in and out as fast as you can, and pull the hone out still spinning. this is how i do it and this is how i was tough by my machinest and i have done lots of engines useing this method and all have never smoked or had blow by
exactly, but i prefer to use medium up and down strokes to get less angle on the crosshatch. its all preference at that point though. drill speed as high as possible.

the most important part is the cleaning method afterwards. i rinse with about 4 gallons of HOT soapy water per cylinder, then i make a bucket of hot soapy water and use a dish brush (not a pot scrubbing one a SOFT one), then i reclean with hot soapy water and then tons of bounty paper towels. once they are all done use some motor oil or WD40 to deter rust.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
^ i do the same cleaning method hot soapy water (dawn dish soap), but i use a toilet brush the white plastic bristle ones they fit in the cylinders well, then paper towels and i use 20w50 in the cylinders it last longer then wd cause sometimes mine sit for a few months before they go together

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help so far. i'll give it a try, if i mess up i'll find out what i did wrong and go at it again. any recommendations on a brand of hone to buy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts