Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: The following are provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself. nor the original writer, nor D-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:
To have a small light to light up your centre console in your EK (can be done on other cars that have similar console designs).

Time Required:
About 1 hour

Tools required:
Wire Strippers
Electrical Tape
Solder (Optional)
Scissors/Pliers
Small Neon/LED Strip (about 50mm long 5-10mm wide)
Screwdriver
Drill with small drill bit
Super Glue (or double sided adhesive)

Step 1:
Remove screws holding the centre console in place, there are about 6 screws around the gear stick, after you remove that, now you will remove this piece:

This is held on by 8 screws, 4 on the left and 4 on the right. It's best to have a cordless, if you don't have one, then bad luck I suppose, you're wrists will hurt!

Step 2:
Remove your headunit or get access to the RED & BLACK (Ignition & Ground to power up your Light source).

We’re choosing the red wire so it the light turns on when your ignition is on, it is possible to make a switch aswell if you like but I didn’t go that far as I don’t mind if the light is on even in the day.

You can even wire it up so it turns on when your headlights are on, but once again, this way is much more simple as you don’t have to fiddle around under the steering coloumn.

Step 3:
After you have removed all of the screws, go ahead and remove the centre console out of its place.

After you remove it, turn it around and look at it from behind:

You're going to want to drill 2 holes that are big enough to squeeze your positive and negative wire through to power up your light.

Here is the position I did it in, because my neon's wiring is from the side, rather from the middle:

Step 4:

Feed your positive/negative wire through the holes so you can mount your light in the position you want:

Mount your Light in the position you want, you can either use superglue like I did or you can use double-sided adhesive to stick it onto position.

(Please note the console is upside down in this photo)

I’ve had bad experiences with using double sided adhesive before as when the inside of the car gets hot during summer, it tends to fall off out of place, so I’d rather do it this way to save the hassle later down the track.

After you're done, it should look something like this when it's sitting right:

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 5:
Mount your centre console back in but don’t screw it in yet.
Feed your Light’s wires through to your headunit harness and connect the positive to the RED wire and the negative to the BLACK wire, just splice it in along with your headunits wiring to your OEM harness. Just connect them together in other words.

If you look at the photo, you will see the hole where your headunit should be, just make sure your wires are long enough and push them down there until you can get it from the bottom and wire it up before you put everything back together.

If you’re not connecting it to your headunits harness, the OEM colours are as follows (Thanks to ECU-MAN for the pin-out):

You will need to connect positive to YELLOW WITH RED STRIPE and negative to BLACK.

Step 6:
After you have spliced your Light’s wires into your Ignition wire (not the power source, just ignition) & Negative, put everything back to place and screw everything back in and mount your headunit back on.

And that’s all there is to it!

Here are the results:

Not bad for a 1 hour job. I was being lazy though and having cigarette breaks, so you might be able to do it faster than that.

I found the Neon in my shed, been sitting there for ages so I thought I’d make use of it some how, so I thought of this preety simple DIY as I was annoyed that the console was always so dark at night, I couldn’t see if my smokes/phone/wallet were there or not.

Enjoy guys

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i hate neons in interiors, but for some reason i like this very much. rep for a nicely done diy.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Cool DIY.. but uhh where'd that clock to the left of the radio?

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Dude bro dont you know? JDM CLOCK! Lol I agree im never a fan of neons in( or under) a car but this looks clean and isnt overdone. + 1 of those reps sir!

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where'd that clock to the left of the radio ?

Oh, It's an Australian model 1996 EK CXi model.

How does the USDM ones look ?

These are standard in Aus delivered EK's.

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate neons aswell, but I just found this in the shed, and the dark console just kept pissing me off hence why I tryed so hard to not show the neon at all, just the light is fine thanks lol

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
i like this mod just because it help light up the console to see what you need, if it was closer to white then blue it would look less "ricey" but i still like the mod. next time you might wanna look into leds due to them being smaller

·
Registered
801 Posts
i like it too, i did something similar with led's, also in my truck. rice or not i drive at night a lot and this helps to locate stuff on my black carpet...like my phone charger and inverter etc.

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
thats actually not bad,i would have covered about 1/2 of the exposed neon bulb with paint or electrical tap to limit how much light it kicks out (since it looks rather bright, and I would think it might be a lil too bright at night)

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Nicely done! And damn you have a clean dash hahaha.

Oh and those clocks, in the US 96-98 Models never came with one. its just a pocket.

So glad I found me a clock though. =) Does the the aussie version light up amber or white?

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It lights up amber.

If I had LED's or some white light I would've used that, but I found this in the shed so nothing better than a free light lol.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
GOD DAMN FUK'N RICE BULLSHIZZY...

where do i get the light? how much? lol

·
Registered
908 Posts
nicely done write-up. Well written, informative pictures... Thumbs up to you.

Now if we can just get you to get the steering wheel back on the right side of the car, we'll be set!

·
Registered
801 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts