Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor D-Series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To set up a glove box light that turns on when i open it and turns off when i close the glove box.
NOTE: This was done on an EK civic(96-00) with no glove box light but the same idea can be used for other cars without lights and also to put in a momentary push switch(SPDT, DPDT or SPST N/C) for those cars where the glovebox light is always on:)

Required:

8mm ratchet or spanner
Drill
scissors
tape
zip ties
LED's(i used a panel of 30 smd leds)
wire(i used speaker cable)
Momentary push switch(SPDT, DPDT or SPST N/C)

Step 1: Remove
Remove the two 8 mm bolts at the bottem corners of the glove box to remove the glove box.

Reach your hand up behind the cig lighter area on the passengers side to find a plug, Unclip and remove the plug

You can also remove the centre console if your having trouble getting to the plug but its not nessicary.

Step 2: Installation
Wire up the speaker cable to the back of the plug. Black is ground. Yellow is + accesory and Red Is + when headlights are on, i used red so that its only on with my headlights.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

You can splice the connection if you want but i just folded the speaker cable and jammed it in the back of the plug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tape that shit up tight with electrical tape so it cant pull out
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Run your speaker cable up to the where you will mount the LED, remember to run the cable past where you want the swtich location. Ive marked mine out with a red line for the wire and a yellow dot for the swtich location.
My setup:

Alternate Config:

Wire in and mount the LED panel to the bottom of the climate control ducting inside the dash. I mounted mine with zip ties and double sided tape as i didnt want to drill into the ducting.

Wire in your switch and tape it up with electrical tape, you need to hook it up in a push to break config if you need help with this post it or pm me and ill tell you how to hook it up.

Drill a hole to mount the switch. i mounted mine up high so its not as visable but you need to remove the lower panel that has the ash tray and cig lighter to do this, if you mount it on the sections highlighted red then you can just drill and mount without removing the panel.

I had to remove the panel to cut and grind out the back area of the panel to fit the switch up high.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the holes drilled, mount the switch then you just need to put the plug and glove box back in and your done, Now enjoy the smell of burning retinas briefly before you are blinded and crash into a tree whenever someone opens the glove box :)

Before:

After:

If i have left anything out or anyone needs more info feel free to post and ill updated the guide with more info :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
nice write up..didnt give u time to finish my bad...
All good mate i accidently posted the last part first with the wrong title then had to quickly edit it so it was probably confusing :)

lol @ before picture
Thats actually a pic too, not just a black box lol i tried to get one in the moon light but my camera phone just didnt want to show up anything lol.

Nice DIY!!! RHD?
Yeh RHD Im from Australia but it should be basicly the same for LHD just on the opposite side :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys i hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill answer them as best i can :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
good shit! i like writeups like these. the ones that are DIY mods for a civic, but are standard features on 99% of cars haha.

Repped

-Luke

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ Lol yeh i couldnt believe it didnt have a glovebox light when i got it lol, every car i have been in has had one lol, cracked the shits with trying to find stuff in there in the dark so i put a 30 smd led panel in there and now its too bright when you open it :)

Thanks for the Rep.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Nice mod man, I agree with luke.. we have to add creature comforts that most other cars come with from the factory lol. Repped :TU:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Nice mod man, I agree with luke.. we have to add creature comforts that most other cars come with from the factory lol. Repped :TU:
Next should be puddle lights! lol

-Luke

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's nice mod, i'll make samething for glovebox and trunk using led strips!
Thanks mate i hope the diy helps :) Im not familiar with these strips you all are talking about ive mostly used panels but ill have to try and find some strips and try them :) Heres how i did my EK civic boot light.

Just cut out the internals of the light housing with a scalpel and jammed a 30 smd led panel in there, very bright :)

Next should be puddle lights! lol

-Luke
Whats a puddle light sorry? Think we might have a different name for it over here in AU or might just be one of those parts ive seen but never learnt the proper name for lol :)

Thanks 95_EJ1 and Sammo115, hopefuly i can come up with some ideas for new DIY's and add some more to D-series :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks mate i hope the diy helps :) Im not familiar with these strips you all are talking about ive mostly used panels but ill have to try and find some strips and try them :) Heres how i did my EK civic boot light.

Just cut out the internals of the light housing with a scalpel and jammed a 30 smd led panel in there, very bright :)

Whats a puddle light sorry? Think we might have a different name for it over here in AU or might just be one of those parts ive seen but never learnt the proper name for lol :)

Thanks 95_EJ1 and Sammo115, hopefuly i can come up with some ideas for new DIY's and add some more to D-series :)
wow, im waiting for 31mm 16SMD led that will fitts in stock bracket..anyway ill use led strip since the oem position isnt soo good for to light everything..can you shoot some pics with those 30 smd leds?

good job!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, im waiting for 31mm 16SMD led that will fitts in stock bracket..anyway ill use led strip since the oem position isnt soo good for to light everything..can you shoot some pics with those 30 smd leds?

good job!
Yeh the stock position isnt the best which is why i put such a big panel in there lol, only just fits after cutting out the the inside of the light housing lol. Ill have to try these led strips so i know what they are like but if they are just like a single row of leds it would probably work well if you could hide it on the underside of your parcel tray so it lights up the boot from above :)

Ill take some pics of mine when ive got a chance but i dont know if i can do before and after pics ill have to see if i still have the old bulb and swap it back in for a good comparison.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts