Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured i'de make a DIY while i built my catch can. Pretty ghetto but should work good enough for what im doing.

So i started off with some old A/C stuff i snagged from work. Cut it open and removed the guts and cleaned it up.

For the drain a picked up a 1/4'' brass valve fitting from menards for about $4. Drilled a hole and used it to thread it in.

Now for the top i drilled the three holes i were i wanted for my two 10 A/N lines and my breather on the top. Used a old license plate i had and cut it in half for a divider?

Pressed the 3/8'' or so aluminum pipe into the A/N fittings with a block of wood and hammer. I also bent the licence plate in half.

Pressed the A/N fittings into the top of the can like so and put in the divider.

Now we get some scotch brite and metal based epoxy.

Stuff it in the compartments with the A/N fittings and cut out one to lay in the bottom.

Insert

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test fit. I made my divider a little longer so that it would align the two when i put them together. I had to shave a little scotch brite that puffed out when i put it together. I also scuffed every thing up to be bonded with some 80 grit.

Apply epoxy, be quick and dont get it on the threads. I used some electric tape to hold it together well it cured.

After it cured i removed the tape, closed the drain valve, plugged the A/N fitting and blew in the top. Air tight. Need to sand it and fill in a little here and there and paint it yet but im happy with it so far.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
now, that's diy.

excellent job, sir!

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
Awesome diy, i really need to do this and get my valve cover welded with fitting

+1 I need to do the same

Does the scotchbrite really make the difference?

Wouldn't just the empty spaces (where the scothcbrite is stuffed) be enough, to help knock out precipitants out of the vapor?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Im not sure about the scotch brite. I just had some laying around and figured what the hell. As for welding the A/N fitting onto the valve cover. The 10 A/N fittings i have fit nice and snug onto the stock breather on my d16 valve cover. I think im just going to cut it down a bit and press the fitting on and use epoxy on it also. I'll post a pic of it in here when i get around to doing it.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I prefer using SS fine steel wool. It will not dissolve in oil, is typically more dense than the scotchbrite pads, and allows me to weld the thing closed (but that isn't necessary).

I like your design, though. It is well thought out and executed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up some supplies

Cleaned it up and primered it.

Sprayed with the stone stuff.

Finished it by spraying the black over the stone to get a wrinkle look.

Sandblasted the valve cover.

Removed the baffle prior to the blasting

Moch up for the A/N fitting

·
Registered
4dr eg
273 Posts
I prefer using SS fine steel wool. It will not dissolve in oil, is typically more dense than the scotchbrite pads, and allows me to weld the thing closed (but that isn't necessary).

I like your design, though. It is well thought out and executed.
I agree with the beaver here. But dont see the pads breaking down, as I use them with lacquer thinner in the shop. But very nice work! I have been thinking of my next one with ac parts as well. Then I can just weld the top up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shaved up the valve cover and put my A/N fitting in the stock breather location. Epoxied her in there and and shaved it up so it would look good.

Went over the rock finish with some red.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking good!

You've got me thinking about building my own custom catch can. Just now trying to find a suitable container. Where did you get the can/container for yours?
It was a A/C canister off a pickup.

cool but why not weld it? was the tank aluminum?
Yes it is. Because i dont have a tig welder or any means of welding it. Shops around here charge an arm and a leg to weld aluminum. The epoxy cost me like $5. Im not too worried about it. All the A/N fittings are either pressed on, in, or together.

·
Registered
795 Posts
VHT wrinkles paint is only $10 per can and it EXTREMELY durable and gives a tight wrinkle finish, and they have both red and black, would have saved you alot of time and money and probably a better end result as it is chemical resistant and meants fr high heat apps

Dollar store steel wool pads in the catch can also would have worked good

Nice diy , gotta love thrifty

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
VHT wrinkles paint is only $10 per can and it EXTREMELY durable and gives a tight wrinkle finish, and they have both red and black, would have saved you alot of time and money and probably a better end result as it is chemical resistant and meants fr high heat apps

Dollar store steel wool pads in the catch can also would have worked good

Nice diy , gotta love thrifty
I love VHT products :TU:

·
Registered
567 Posts
is it important to keep the inside divided like that?

i need to make a catch can here soon as well and this diy should def help me out with it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts