Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my complete DIY installation of Front & Back tow hook on my hatch. I couldn't find one anywhere on google. Most of them said to drill and cut the front bumper support frame, but look no further! :bigok: This will take only 15-30 minutes of your precious time. This is my first time making a DIY so I hope you guys like it. REPs accepted :yes:

Link to the seller I bought it from: http://stores.ebay.com/feifei-lyt/_i.html?_nkw=tow+hook&submit=Search&_sid=206604956

Tools needed for this installation:
1. Wrench
2. 19mm Socket
4. Screw driver
5. Beverage of your taste.
6. Front & back tow hook with the bolts it came with.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I ordered mine off ebay for about $35 shipped. I didn't feel like paying over $100 for a password jdm or benen tow hooks.
I went with the Titanium silver.

Step 1: Start by using the screw driver to take off the metal piece holding the front bumper.

Step 2: After you unscrew all 4, I only have 2 holding mine, remove the metal piece and put it aside somewhere with the screws so you don't lose them.

Step 3: You can either jack up the front of your car a little bit or put your key in the ignition and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right.

Step 4: Now we can start on the last 2 plastic bolts holding the front bumper on the fender. Now mine are gone so I used zip ties which was easier. You can do the same if you like.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 5: After removing the plastic bolts/zip ties, you can take off your front bumper and put it aside somewhere safe.

Step 6: After removing the bumper and putting it away, go straight to the bumper support frame and look under. There should be some holes where you can mount your front tow hook. Pick either left, middle, or right. I chose the left side because my license plate was mounted on the right.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 7: Take your screw with washer and go behind the bumper support. It's a bit tight for those who have bigger hands. Make sure you get your screw in the hole and it should look like this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 8: Now get a hold of your front tow hook and the dome looking piece with a washer and the nut ready to be put on. Make sure the dome goes on first, then the tow hook, and lastly the washer and nut.

Dome piece on top.

Washer on bottom.

End result.

You will need to hand tighten the nut on to secure the tow hook in place. Once its hand tightened, straighten out the tow hook.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 9: Get your wrench and 19mm socket ready to do some wrenchin. Hold the tow hook in place and tighten.

Step 10: Once you have tightened the nut, start putting the front bumper back in place. Make sure you slide it on going through the 1st top of the front grill on the bumper. If you have yours cut out then its not a problem.

Check to see how you like the way it comes out. If you want it more out you can adjust it to your liking.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Step 11: Once you're all done, start reassembling everything else back in place. Don't forget the metal plate.

Step 12: Take a step back and take a look at all the hard work you did on the front and pat yourself in the back! Congratulations, you have just completed installing the front tow hook!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Now for the Rear, It's pretty self explanatory. Use common sense that your brain has and look at how mine is positioned. Do the same and pat yourself in the back for accomplishing such hard work.

All you need for tools is the wrench and and the 19mm socket.

ALL DONE!

End result in dirtiness, a 1/10.

Note: At the end of everything you will have 1 screw, washer, dome piece, and nut left. Just put it away for extra.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
wow i cant believe you posted this lmao..but rep anyways

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i always wanted to know how the front hook gets bolted on thanks
rep for you!
o and i will be buying the tow hooks from ebay soon but for 96-98 civic i will post pictures when i do it
Thanks! I'm glad it helped a fellow member. :bigok:

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
i think if you had a trunk monkey, tow hooks in a package, and a 19mm wrench...you could press the button, the monkey would get out with the wrench, see the tow hooks and know exactly how to install them :) haha have to give you a bad time..i bet it took longer to make the DIY then it did to install them huh

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think if you had a trunk monkey, tow hooks in a package, and a 19mm wrench...you could press the button, the monkey would get out with the wrench, see the tow hooks and know exactly how to install them :) haha have to give you a bad time..i bet it took longer to make the DIY then it did to install them huh
HAHAHA! Yeah, it took me like an hour to do the DIY write up. :bigok:

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
What the hell. Your rebar already have holes in them? I had to drill into mine -____- but sadly I had to take the front off. Wont clear the fmic.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What the hell. Your rebar already have holes in them? I had to drill into mine -____- but sadly I had to take the front off. Wont clear the fmic.
It could be because my model was made in Canada? And its a 93? Im not sure if all 92-95 civics have them or not. Or it could be where the car was manufactured from? I have no clue, but if anyone with a 92-95 civic could check all theirs too then it should solve the case.

·
Registered
The Shoe
50 Posts
Simple and easy DIY. I think most people forgo the front tow hook cause they don't know how to install it. You made it easy and quick. I would suggest to anyone that plans on using the front tow hook to be pulled (towed) that you drill the 2 holes needed to bolt down the hook properly. If you plan on just getting the hook to rock it, then this DIY is where its at.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Simple and easy DIY. I think most people forgo the front tow hook cause they don't know how to install it. You made it easy and quick. I would suggest to anyone that plans on using the front tow hook to be pulled (towed) that you drill the 2 holes needed to bolt down the hook properly. If you plan on just getting the hook to rock it, then this DIY is where its at.
Thanks. It's on pretty tight. I mean, I can't turn it anymore to tighten it. If you want to use both holes, you can just drill 1 hole next to the hole thats already there for you and use both. But just got to make sure your hook is straight before doing that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wonder if the 96-00 bumper supports are the same? I've always thought that you need to cut something for the front one to be mounted.:pinch:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder if the 96-00 bumper supports are the same? I've always thought that you need to cut something for the front one to be mounted.:pinch:
Not sure, maybe you can be the first to post a DIY for the 96-00 civics.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts