Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

For anyone tuned into my build thread this will be old news, but I figured I would do up one of these for anyone that might want to attempt something like this.

Having seen one or two DIY fan shrouds on the site I figured that this would make a great little project.

I don't have any aluminum big enough to cover the radiator all at once so I'm making it a slip-fit box style with two mirrored halves.

This is the material I have. Its plenty long, but isn't quite wide enough.

The design in my head was really simple, but required the metal to be notched and bent over like tabs on all the closed sides. I don't have a machine shop, and I wasn't keen on the idea of paying anyone to do it for me (would really kill the whole diY part of it.) So I did what anyone with scrap material and tools would do. I improvised.

Please try not to laugh.

Laid out my bends as lines with pencil then scored them with an olfa knife to promote a linear "fold." Clamped the material to a long piece of steady shelving board making sure the lines were dead even then went to town with a mallet. Worked slowly back and forth until it was folded over then pounded out towards the outer edge to smooth it down.

Turned out pretty decent, so I kept going.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had to cut the aluminum sheet down in length, so I scored both sides with an olfa and straight edge then clamped it down between two of these shelf boards and bent it up and down a few times on the score to break it.

It cut as good as a friggin table saw.

After some more whacking and bending i had one of the halves roughly formed, just need to notch an inch square off the end of each side then fold the last flap over.

(my turbo is photobombing this picture.)

Once I had the whole thing bent up I notched one spot to make them overlap nicely (you could also make one a tiny bit smaller but this was easier for me.)

Now it all fits together nicely. I'll slip fit it once fully installed and pop a couple rivets into the body to keep them together.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan removed, laid out to cut the hole.

Traced the fan onto the material then freehanded another line about a 1/4 inch inside that one (this will be the actual cut line)

4 mounting tabs to bolt it solid to the rad.

Got some 3/16 foam tape and some foil duct tape, help seal things up.

Foil tape for the gaps at the corner and seams.

I cut little strips then cut a little triangle out of them to create 2 little fold over tabs.

Then I foam taped the perimeter of the fan itself. Drilled holes in the shroud so I can through bolt the fan right to the shroud since its sturdy.

Fan securely bolted through the new shroud. Tried to make the top mounting tabs look nice with the angled cuts, as for the bottom I rounded them so when i eventually smash my head on one its hopefully less likely to split me open.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
excellent job, sir.

i'm going to sticky this.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Haha almost 5 years later and he bumps the thread just to say it’s on his to do list.

Props for searching though
lol! No kidding. I must say though, this DIY was nice to see. I have seen many DIY's that just turn out like complete shit. But this one was nice...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts