Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Honda Civic Si
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do some engine bay cleaning, obviously i put new parts in. I still have to replace some hoses and Im going to do a wire tuck, but i dont have the time for that right now. Would love to hear some ideas of what else to do :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Honda Civic Si
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, but wrong section. Unless you have a DIY of how you did everything, read the rules.
okay, i dont have pics of how i did everything but here goes.

The valve cover - mine was bare aluminum so i used etching primer first, then two top coats of High Temp red paint, then filed off the paint on the "Honda". You will also need to replace your gaskets when you put the valve cover back on.

The strut bar - fairly simple, you undo the 2 nuts on each strut. then place the strut bar other the bolts and put the bolts back on. MAKE SURE: you tighten the nuts really tight after and DONT jack up the car to install otherwise your strut towers may fall out!

The Header - First removal: I started with the cat. Theres two bolts that hold the cat to the "down pipe" if you will. and theres also a bracket that holds the downpipe to the frame. Next i removed the three bolts that attached the down pipe to the manifold. Next undo the nuts from the block that hold the manifold on (i believe theres 7). Install: install is just reverse of removal. Make sure you get all new gaskets. One from block to header, 2 from header to "down pipe", and 1 from down pipe to cat. (Thats if you have stock exhaust and a 4-2-1 header). After about a week of install check all bolts to make sure they are still tight, just so you dont get any exhaust leaks.

Accessories - i painted a few caps and other little things. like the brake fluid caps and a couple brackets. I used etching primer first, then 2 top coats of High Temp paint. (i used red and white) im not sure if you need the high temp paint for stuff like that, but i did it just in case.

The cleaning - my coolant reservoir was overflowing, and there was dirt everywhere. So i used MotoMaster Engine degreaser. it was $10 from Canadian Tire, and i just sprayed it all over the coolant spills and dirt and let it sit for 10 minutes. then i got an old toothbrush and scrubbed the dirt off, then sprayed with water. and just repeated until i was happy with it!

Sorry i forgot to to tell all that in my post :)

·
Registered
1990 Honda Civic Si
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, i dont have pics of how i did everything but here goes.

The valve cover - mine was bare aluminum so i used etching primer first, then two top coats of High Temp red paint, then filed off the paint on the "Honda". You will also need to replace your gaskets when you put the valve cover back on.

The strut bar - fairly simple, you undo the 2 nuts on each strut. then place the strut bar other the bolts and put the bolts back on. MAKE SURE: you tighten the nuts really tight after and DONT jack up the car to install otherwise your strut towers may fall out!

The Header - First removal: I started with the cat. Theres two bolts that hold the cat to the "down pipe" if you will. and theres also a bracket that holds the downpipe to the frame. Next i removed the three bolts that attached the down pipe to the manifold. Next undo the nuts from the block that hold the manifold on (i believe theres 7). Install: install is just reverse of removal. Make sure you get all new gaskets. One from block to header, 2 from header to "down pipe", and 1 from down pipe to cat. (Thats if you have stock exhaust and a 4-2-1 header). After about a week of install check all bolts to make sure they are still tight, just so you dont get any exhaust leaks.

Accessories - i painted a few caps and other little things. like the brake fluid caps and a couple brackets. I used etching primer first, then 2 top coats of High Temp paint. (i used red and white) im not sure if you need the high temp paint for stuff like that, but i did it just in case.

The cleaning - my coolant reservoir was overflowing, and there was dirt everywhere. So i used MotoMaster Engine degreaser. it was $10 from Canadian Tire, and i just sprayed it all over the coolant spills and dirt and let it sit for 10 minutes. then i got an old toothbrush and scrubbed the dirt off, then sprayed with water. and just repeated until i was happy with it!

Sorry i forgot to to tell all that in my post :)
Forgot to mention - There are 5 bolts (i think) for the heat shield to undo. And i had to re-route my O2 sensor, which is just taking it out of the wiring harness and running it down the the new hole. I had enough wire length so i didnt have to extend it. Its also a good time to give the O2 sensor a clean!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts