Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I made a jig the other day for my crossmember and this is what I've come up with. It actually feels lighter than stock. I've heard of the ones on Ebay bending and such so I wanted to build something much stronger than those. It rides only about 1/2" lower than stock and will accommodate any DP or radiator. There are a few things unfinished, the gusset on the back of the body mount, washers welded in for the caster adj., and the motor mount. They would be, but I ran outta wire. I'll finish it up this weekend, but I really wanted to get a bit of feedback.

Here's some photos of the finished product. I'm gonna mess with the look of the motor mount a bit, but it's functional and doesn't look horrible.

·
Registered
1991 Civic 4 Door
151 Posts
Not bad at all for some leftover material.... Have you tried it on the car yet? If so how does it fit? I would be interested in getting one if it allows for a half radiator in a EF.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
good work man. but looks kinda weak
X2 but if you could box the ends and maybe weld some plates to the top and bottom of the tubes that run across could possible stiffen things up i would definatly look in to one of these if you get it perfected especially for the half rad.:yes:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I actually have one on my car that has no gussets. I took some hard corners and it felt normal. No more or less body sway. I thought about putting a piece of 2" flat across the bottom. I think it's fine tho, very solid. I will be putting one more gusset on the inside of the cater mounts. If you think that's weak, imagine the ones that use one span of tubing. The tube was old but everything else is new and I have new tubing in the garage as well.

·
Registered
78 Chevy SWB
83 Posts
Looks good man, Have you thought about using 1"x2" square tubing instead of the pipe? I modified my tranny crossmember on my 78 c10 to fit my exhaust using square tubing and it was a lot more rigid.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good man, Have you thought about using 1"x2" square tubing instead of the pipe? I modified my tranny crossmember on my 78 c10 to fit my exhaust using square tubing and it was a lot more rigid.
I have 8' feet of both. I thought about using it but the aesthetics of the tubing is better. Atleast to me. I think I'll try it though. I'm sure there are gonna be slight changes between the 1st and 3rd.

Thanks for the criticism and ideas. Also thanks to the mod that added EF to the title.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
whats the advantage other than wasting time at work and being awesome
and proving your awesomeness

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
man i wish i could weld and fab stuff up like that. haha i say nice work for trying and doing that. :TU:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Looks pretty weak where the arms attatch. I would guess only a few hard launches and those are going to bend/break. It's def a great start though. Something you can definitely improve and turn into your perfect setup.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
if you only want to use one heim on the front (attaches to the cross member) and use the rest of the stock radius rod i would suggest 5/8ths or larger, so you dont risk them bending from the forces of the suspension going up and down.

i really like what you have done here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts