Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have been seeing a lot of posts about swaping to MPFI. Here it is made simple. This should only take you no more then 3 hours to accomplish for a do it your selfer.

Parts list:
All parts listed are from a 88-91 civic Si

Si MPFI intake manifold w/ all sensors, TB, injectors, and rail
Si engine harness
Si injector resistor box
Si distributor (d16a6)
Si throttle cable
PM6 ECU
a U-bend heater hose, if not on IM.
new intake gasket

Tools:

10mm wrench/ socket
12 mm wrench
pliers
cutting pliers
wire strippers
soldering gun
solder
heat shrink or electrical tape
screw drivers
wire

The engine bay is pretty much straight foward. Drain out the coolant first. Begin marking with plugs you remove from the IM. Be sure to dis conect all the sensors. I wrote the sensors name on a peice of tape attached to the wires. You can then atrt removing the vac. and coolant lines. Remove the fuel line and tuck it to the side. You can take the entire throttle cable out of the car, you will be using the shorter Si one instead.

At this point you should have everything on the manifold disconnected and ready to come off. Start taking the 12mm nuts off that removes the mani. from the head. Once off, scrape the old intake gasket off. Even though it may still look good to use. It's better to replace it now rather then later.

Now it's mostly doing the oppisite when installing the mpfi manifold. Dont worry about the wiring yet for the mani. Get all the vac. lines and coolant lines hooked back up. You will notice that you will need a U-bend heater hose to come off the head and go back to the mani. Install the new Si throttle cable.

You should have the intake completly on the motor no, except for the wiring.

Now remove the old distributor. You can cut of the two plugs that go to it from the harness. Using the Si engine harness find the two plugs for the dizzy (both should be round) and cut them off leaving enough wire to solder to. They should be a round style plug instead of the square std/dx ones. match up the wires and solder the plugs the the harness in the car. You will have 2 extra wires coming off the bigger plug. These will be used later on. Install the Si dizzy now.

You can mount the injector resistor box somewhere near the fuel rail. I put mine on the left shock tower.

The wiring is made a lot more simple here.

ECU plugs

At ECU
C1 ecu wire to B10 pin
C2 ecu wire to B12 pin
Run C1 pin to distr.
Run C2 pin to distr.
A3 ecu pin to engine bay and mark it
Same thing with the A7 ecu pin

Plug in the si's PM6 ecu, in place of the dx pm5 one.

Engine Bay
DX/HF yellow injector wire to #1 injector(brown)
DX/HF Red injector wire to #3 injector(blue)
A3 to #2 injector (red)
A7 to #4 injector (yellow)

Connect all 4 red/black wires to the resistor box

Connect the Yel/Blk DX injector wires to the yel/blk one on the resistor box as well.

C1 to blue/green wire on distr. Becareful not mix these two up!
C2 to blue/ yellow wire on distr.

The Yellow and green wires on the TPS sensor need to be swapped around. The middle red wire stays where it is.

These plug wires will need to be extended: TPS, IAC, EVAC. There will be one plug that is not used on the MPFI intake that the DPFI had.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great write up!

Paper clips make excellent ECU pin removers for moving them from the one spot to the other.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
91crxd15 said:
could i use a y8 mani
Yes you can use the Y8 mani. The only thing that are different are the location of the vaccume lines.

·
Registered
474 Posts
yea but would i have to wire up any thing differnt cus i can get a hole y8 mani for 35 and then all i would need is the Si engine harness
Si injector resistor box
Si distributor (d16a6)
Si throttle cable
PM6 ECU
and then wire it up right

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything get wired up the same. You just replace the A6 mani. for the Y8 one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
nice write-up man. thanks alot .
i might just do a complete a6 swap.

·
Registered
91 sedan
2,259 Posts
make sure you not getting the y8 mani with air injection holes or it will not fit unless you do some grinding. you need si fuel injectors as well

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
He means he has some b16 OBD1 injectors and clips he's gonna use. That works right? He's getting all this from me

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah true some one edit his post.. . . this is a nice simple writeup... heck i think i am going to print some and keep them in my car so that i can hand them out ...

Edit it so that it reflects the fact that you have to switch the 2 outside tps wires around...
and it will be about perfect. .

Chris

·
Registered
91 sedan
2,259 Posts
your first ecu plug is gonna be a clear-white one, which is A. then the next one is B, then C.

·
Registered
26 Posts
when putting on a new intake manifold gasket.. im guessing you would use a gasket for the Si mani right? sorry if its a stupid question i just want to make sure.. none of the posts about the swap really mentioned it.. also i dont really see where the PM6 comes into play? am i swapping out my stock Dx ecu for the Si PM6?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts