Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I didnt see this listed in our DIY forum so im gonna try and do a write up. This is my first one so any comments are welcome. Also, i had to borrow two pics cause the steps were all ready completed on both my panels before i decided to do this write up. So here it is......

Materials:

Spray glue. I used 3M Super 77. Works great
Hot glue... I know but it works well and is easy to remove if you want to redo your panels
Phillips screw driver
Fabric of your choice
Scissors
Razor blade
A drill/dremel
Patience

Step one: Remove your panel from the car

Step two: Drill or dremel out the melted plastic retainers that hold the plastic door insert in place. BE CAREFUL on this step. You dont want to completely drill out the plastic post that attaches to the door panel to the insert. I used a slightly smaller drill bit and kinda walked the drill in a circle to remove the top portion of the plastic retainer. Keep a little pressure on the insert peice so it "pops" up when the retainer is disconnected.

Step 3: Now with the pieces separated you should be able to fairly easily pull the factory fabric off the plastic insert. be careful you can crack this insert fairly easily.

Now it should look like this......

Step 4: Scrub all the years of accumulated dirt off your panel... you dont have to, but i figured why not while im there. helps the glues stick aswell.

Step 5: Measure and cut your fabric. I measured MUCH larger than needed to make sure everything was ideal.

(Note on fabric) I first tried with walmart crappy fabric. No dice bad color and glues comes through it easily. So my second attempt, I went to Jo-Ann fabric store and picked up a nice red felt, like what they use on card tables.

Step 6: Time for the glue.
Ok with the felt i was able to be much more liberal with the glue be cause the material is thicker. This is nice because it helps get everything adhered. I applied the glue so that it was a noticeable white spray on the insert piece. Then i gave it a good minute or minute and a half to kick for tacky-ness.

Step 7: Apply the glue the in sections. I did the section thats faces the inside of the car first. followed by the area where the door handle and window switches are.When your done it should look like this.

**The cut where the pocket is helps get the fabric laid down nice and smooth. DO NOT STRETCH THE FELT** you can get it smooth with simple finger manipulation.

Step 8: Trim it down to size. You dont want yards of fabric behind your door panel do you?? Then LET IT DRY for a night or so.

Step 9: Reassembly. So now ive seen people who use screws and washers, and some other things, but i went with hot glue. Its easy to use, works well and can be removed easily. Cut holes in the fabric where the posts are with either a razor or scissors. Fill in the holes where the plastic retainers were. Make sure you get under the fabric to were the plastic post is and also up over the top filling in the hole.

Step 10: Repeat until all holes are filled. Should look about like this.

Step 11: Wait a good 30 min for the hot glue to dry. And you should see this.

Step 12: Reassemble all the plastic door pieces, reinstall on the car and enjoy!!!

Hope this does you guys well, Good Luck!! Let me know what you think. Future plans are to do faux suede. So well see how it goes.

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
looks very good. only complaint....get a finished product picture up! asap!

that fabric texture and color looks great in a all black EG. if my car wasnt blue i would do the same :p

repped!

·
Registered
5,885 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
tell me what you need? im doing the door panels now but im cutting out for door pockets and tweeters, ive done the carpet im custom fabbing seat brackets for new seats and just installed a camber kit and did a battery and fuse box relocate with a headlight wire tuck, let me know what yall need a DIY on and ill see if its on my to do list and ill post one up

·
Registered
631 Posts
Looks sick. I wanna do mines but dont have the time to get all the stuff for it as well as the process.

·
Registered
92 civic eg9 dx
106 Posts
but it looks like it's comming along.

Now that my swap is done, I can finally start on my 4dr panels. I'm doing the whole panel thou not just a piece ;)

I'm going with Black Vinyl :yes:
now if your doing the whole door panel with black vinyl (which i think is sexy as fuk i just need to find a place where i can find some) are you gonna replace that thin foam padding thats on the top of the panel?...you know where you can lay your arm. i hope you know what im talkin bout.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
now if your doing the whole door panel with black vinyl (which i think is sexy as fuk i just need to find a place where i can find some) are you gonna replace that thin foam padding thats on the top of the panel?...you know where you can lay your arm. i hope you know what im talkin bout.
I know exactly what you're talking about.

here's my thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/serious-discussion-debate/123647-re-doing-my-interior-what-do-you-think.html

sadly, I had it all Red Vinyl :pinch:
I grew from that now so just jump to page 3 you'll see how much black vinyl material I bought for my dash n panels and black tweed for my seats. My buddy closed his shop so that's why I was left with my dash n panels. I have to buy more black vinyl cuz I lost it when he closed his shop. Material is not expensive. And no, I'm not going to replace that foam that's in there. That's how the Red vinyl is on my door panels now. It doesn't bother me at all..

Sorry for the Thread Jack CaliLegal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wish 6th gens had the cloth part held on by screws. Still came out ok though.
^
Nice, it looks pretty good.
How did you pull that off? Just cutting the fabric to size then sticking them on?

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
879 Posts
Peeled the fabric off the vinyl and put it on the fabric I had, traced it, cut it out , and then spray on glue on the fabric. Black vinyl spray for the panel and rattle canned the plastic piece.

·
Registered
98 Prelude turbo
361 Posts
I like this I need to do this my buddy did the integra dash thing and had to cut the Pannels any ideas how to fix where he cut it the panals... I was thinking Fiber glass it up or Plexi glass and form it around the dash andglue it to the door panals and re glue it ...hummmmm Ideas

1 - 20 of 45 Posts