Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor D-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Most of this was simply following the Honda service manual

Aim: Refill/bleed the coolant for the cooling system

Required:
- 12mm socket / spanner
- 19mm (I think it was) socket.
- Approx 4-5L of coolant (you can buy it premixed from Honda. Approx $32 for 4L)
- Something to collect the old coolant with (I used my oil pan)

Steps:
Make sure the engine has cooled down before attempting this as opening the radiator with HOT coolant can/will cause serious injury!
One way to check is to squeeze the top radiator hose. If it is firm, the coolant is still under pressure and hot! (pic below)

1. Start the car and move the heater temprature to the HOTTEST setting. After this, stop the car.

2. Remove the radiator cap.

3. Loosen the drain bolt at the bottom of the radiator (you don't have to take it out completely, just enough so the coolant starts draining). I didn't jack up the car so couldn't take a decent pic. But its basically like this:

4. Take out the engine drain bolt and let the coolant drain out completely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5. Take the cap off the coolant overflow reservoire and pull it straight up to take it out. Empty its contents and put it back into its holder. Put the cap back on.

6. Once all the coolant has finished draining tighten the radiator drain plug fully.

7. Apply liquid gasket (optional) to the engine drain bolt and tighten it back up.

8. Pour the pre-mixed coolant (if it is not premixed, then make sure it is a 50-50 coolant/water mixture) into the radiator via the radiator cap opening upto the filler neck.

9. Loosen the bleed bolt (12mm) at the top of the uppermost radiator hose until there are no airbubbles coming out and just a steady stream of coolant. When you tighten it back up again, make sure you don't over tighten it (9.8Nm is fine). The pic below is for a DOHC-non VTEC engine and is located behind/underneath the dizzy. For SOHC engines it is located on top of the radiator hose at the front of the engine above where the engine number is stamped.

10. Refill the radiator to the base of the filler neck.

11. Put the radiator cap back on up to the first click only.

12. Start the engine and let it run till it has warmed up fully (IE make sure the radiator fan comes on at least twice).

13. Turn the engine off, check the level in the radiator and add coolant if necessary.

14. Fill the overflow reservoire to the MAX mark and put the cap back on.

15. Wash off any spilt coolant with some clean water.

ALL DONE and hopefully I haven't missed anything!

Other comments

Just as a comparison.......the pic below shows the old coolant and the bit of coolant in the cap is the new coolant. Notice the difference? :D

And thanks to the trusty service manual :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
you skipped a step it seems....

how to drain the coolant from the block itself... not too hard though, but that bolt is a bitch without a big breaker bar.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Where the hell is the drain bolt on my Y7 block?!? I changed my coolant about a month ago but could not find my drain bolt on the block. I went ahead with the procedure, but am not sure if I got all the old coolant out. Anyone know about the Y7 block?

-ic

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
supposed to be in front. kind of facing the radiator... it's a big bolt.

B

·
0 Posts
IT is not absolutely needed to undo this bolt and let it drain - you can DIY with a normal garden hose thru the thermostat whiel the engine is on...once the fluid leaking back out the bleed is clear - there is no more old coolant in there ;)

BTW DO NOT unhook the block bolt within a short time of turning the engine on - can shatter any non-stock exhaust manifold !

Win did u unhook the block bolt too ?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
actually, if you don't mind the non-distilled water, his method is good.

You put all water in the block and all ethylene glycol (pure coolant) in the radiator. The volumes are about the same, so you get a 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I checked like 5 times for the drain bolt on the block on my Y7. It's not there. I compared to my Z6 block and that one is easy to find. I don't think they put one on the Y7 unless they hid it really fuckin' well....

-ic

1 - 20 of 27 Posts