Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How To: Make your own cold air intake
i found this on the interwebs and it worked great for me. i am only using part of it because i dont want to worry about water because it rains alot where i am total cost for me was $44.95! 22.95 for the u bend and $10.00 for the silicone couplers. i got my big ass fliter from a friend who dug it out of the trash.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
old info i have seen years back then again the best write up on one i have ever seen.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
I named it the slatertake.

Slater/Greg also designed and built the tall shifts that Fastline now markets. He also tried a 3" version and gained almost no power.

My D15Beast7 on slicks was faster the his B16 DOHC del Sol, #1 reason I stayed SOHC all this time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made a cold air intake with left over intercooler piping from a couple builds ago, for use on my new summer project. works great I would say it was free, the filter I had on my ef before I pulled the motor out a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is a Damn big filter but it was free so who cares! Yes 40MPGd15b7 i finally found an A6 cam and used your y8 camgear with it it was an (89-91). and the d16z6 intake swap went fairly well except for one nut that goes under the manifold that is insanely hard to get at. took me about 2 hours if there was easy access (like any aftermarket manifold should have) i bet you could get one on in like 30 mins

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
because ebay cold air intakes are not cheap enough... all you will do with a cold air is suck in water, all you will do with a short ram is suck in hot air, and not make much power with either. just throw a K&N replacement filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're just looking for a whistle noise while you drive... there are a lot of true sports cars out there that make plenty of power on stock intake systems and they are made of plastics and rubbers to reduce heat soak. If power is what you're after you need higher compression to go N/A, or forced induction. Even then show me one forced induction car from the factory with a cone filter. Save your money for a build not junk parts that don't add power. Chances are if it's cheap it won't add much power.

·
Registered
275 Posts
because ebay cold air intakes are not cheap enough... all you will do with a cold air is suck in water, all you will do with a short ram is suck in hot air, and not make much power with either. just throw a K&N replacement filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're just looking for a whistle noise while you drive... there are a lot of true sports cars out there that make plenty of power on stock intake systems and they are made of plastics and rubbers to reduce heat soak. If power is what you're after you need higher compression to go N/A, or forced induction. Even then show me one forced induction car from the factory with a cone filter. Save your money for a build not junk parts that don't add power. Chances are if it's cheap it won't add much power.
Mmm sucking in water isn't a huge risk for a lot of people ..certain places don't get that much rain.. also most people don't go trudging their cars through 2 foot deep puddles anyhow.

I'm thinking about making my own cold air that you can convert to a short ram on the days where its REALLY storming outside.
Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Mmm sucking in water isn't a huge risk for a lot of people ..certain places don't get that much rain.. also most people don't go trudging their cars through 2 foot deep puddles anyhow.

I'm thinking about making my own cold air that you can convert to a short ram on the days where its REALLY storming outside.
Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
you missed the point that cold airs and short rams don't make a shit of difference. I'm using the stock air box on my JRSC D15B with a custom 2.75" intake tube to the 62mm throttle body and I don't think there would be a big enough difference to warrant a different intake setup. the only reason I'm using a custom intake tube is due to the fact that the JRSC S-tube offsets the throttle body away from where it would be stock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts