Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself or d-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

ok, well i bought a new cluster out of an SI from mintchoc on here, and i was bored today so i decided to not only put it in, put take pics as i did. plus this section of teh forum hardly gets any attention, so i figured, why not?

Before the swap:

Lets get started!

Tools Required:
Regular phillips screwdriver
Shorty phillips screwdriver
Shorty flat screwdriver

Heres a comparison of clusters, just so you can see the difference. really not much, jus the redline, tach goes to 8, and the warning lights are a little different.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now start by removing the 2 screws on both side of the hood, on the bottom side

Now, this is the only time you will use the shorty flat SD, remive the cover pieces on the back of the hood, that cover the screws. there are 2 of them

now, i use teh shorty phillips on the back ones, because the regular SD will hit the window and prevent you from getting them out

once these 4 screws are out, the cluster will slide off

pop the rear defrost and dimmer buttons out of the hood(88-89 only)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remove the clips from both buttons, lay these aside

remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side of the cluster, that hold it in place

remove the hood, now you can look behind it. there are 4 things that need to be unplugged. speedo, and 3 clips. the red arrow shows where to push on the speedo cable to remove it

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
remove the cluster now and this is what you see

set the new cluster in place and install harness

i recommend starting the car and driving it before you put the erst all back together. you dont want to get it all done and see that something doesnt work. once all this has been done, re-install the hood and everything just like you took it off :smile:

Congrats, a new SI cluster in your HF/DX

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i had one of those tachs.. just got stolen thursday along with my system and deck...
bye bye 2000 dollars worth of stuff..

good write up tho

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mynameistin said:
ryan curious if your gas gauge reaches full when the tank is full and when its on E do you get 10 gallons or so or even more?
on the new cluster? i dont know, just did it today, lol. on the old cluster, no. fill the tank until the gas nozzle clicks, and it is sittin right on the full line. when it is on the empty line, god damnit its empty

10 gallons? haha, i have a 7.5gal tank so i dont think so

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
ryan89crx said:
Cruise Control homie...i think its aftermarket, it was there when i bought the car
not aftermarket, its the 88/89 version, 90/91 put the buttons ON the steering wheel.

Your cruise control controller box is under your fuel filter on the 88/89's, and over the driver side motor mount on the 90/91.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
civic90ex said:
Your cruise control controller box is under your fuel filter on the 88/89's, and over the driver side motor mount on the 90/91.
nope, mine is directly behind the intake manifold. plus there were some ghetto wires going from it, over the IM, wrapped arounf the clutch cable, then to the top of the dizzy with a cheap-o wire splice.

·
6,710 Posts
ryan89crx said:
nope, mine is directly behind the intake manifold. plus there were some ghetto wires going from it, over the IM, wrapped arounf the clutch cable, then to the top of the dizzy with a cheap-o wire splice.

random, might have been just the 88/89 LX sedans. Proved me wrong!, its alright tho, cuz i explained how mine was setup on my '88 sedan :)

Nice pic, looks like dirt-o-rama in there, get scrubbin!

·
CR-Vtakin
11,459 Posts
ryan89crx said:
oh ya, i pulled the ricer tach out, i dont need it anymore. i want a more sleeper look and that huge thing kind of ruined it, lol
thank goodness you pulled that thing out! I had one in my car for awhile that the dipshit before me left in the car. I hated it. I replaced my cluster asap with a stock ex cluster. Big tachs in our cars are total rice, only thing worse than one in a car is one that is not hooked up.

Very nice write up, I always like to see mods like this.

·
6,710 Posts
mrnicolas said:
thank goodness you pulled that thing out! I had one in my car for awhile that the dipshit before me left in the car. I hated it. I replaced my cluster asap with a stock ex cluster. Big tachs in our cars are total rice, only thing worse than one in a car is one that is not hooked up.

Very nice write up, I always like to see mods like this.
lol, true about rice.

I have a 2.5" tach that i was going to use on my '88 civic STD, but instead, i'm going to use my '90 shell that has an SI cluster in it already. So i have a spare tach now...might mount it somewhere hidden...since its supposed to be more accurate than stock...but who knows, might just be BS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts