Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 4 door civic EX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this out by accident and decided I would share my knowledge with the rest of the D-series community. I wanted to make my car "super mad tyte jdm yo!" with city lights but couldn't find and information on how to PROPERLY wire them up. So I took matters into my own hands. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the process but it's pretty straight forward.

With the city lights properly wired up, they should come on with your parking/corner lights and turn off when your low beams come on. Most of the write-ups I've seen end with the city lights on with your parking, low and high beams.

Things you need:
1. City light socket with bulb. (EK/Prelude side marker sockets and Accord rear bumper light sockets are almost exactly the same.)
2. Wires.
3. Soldering Iron
4. Heat Shrink
5. Wire Strippers

Step 1.
Take your city light socket and bulb (assuming they work) and pop them into your headlight housing.

Step 2.
Your socket should have 2 wires, one red and one black. Take that extra wire you have (I used speaker wire) and connect it to the wires on the socket. One wire to red and one wire to black. Solder and shrink wrap the speaker wire to the socket wire to ensure a good connection.

Step 3.
Now redirect your attention over to your corner lights. There should be 3 wires running to these: Red, Black and Green. Grab your wire strippers and VERY CAREFULLY strip a part of the RED corner light wire. Just enough to expose the bare wire. This is where we'll be pulling the power from.

Step 4.
Take the speaker wire that is connected to the red city light socket wire and connect the other end to the red corner light wire. Again, solder and shrink wrap this connection.

Step 5.
Now turn your attention over to your headlight plug. Depending on what car you have, there should be a ground wire, low beam wire and high beam wire. We'll be dealing with the low beam wire. I'm not sure about other models but on EK's, this is the red wire w/ yellow stripe that leads to the top prong of the plug. Grab your wire strippers and again, VERY CAREFULLY strip a part of this wire revealing the bare innards.

Step 6.
Take your other speaker wire, which should be connected to the black city light socket wire, and connect it to your low beam wire. Once again, solder and shrink wrap this connection.

Step 7.
If everything was done correctly, turn on your parking lights and enjoy your hard work. Your city lights work! BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE! Turn on your headlights and notice that the city light turns off!

Now you've got your "mad tyte JDM yo!" city lights wired up and working the right way. Go show em off!

·
Registered
'99 4 door civic EX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have JDM headlights, there's a small hole between the headlight and corner light. That's where your city light socket goes.
Here's an example of a JDM EK headlight with the city light hole.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
sweet i shall have to do this i have some real ctr 96-98 headlights and i was thinking about wiring them to the corner light plus a toggle switch so they both had to be on for the city lights but this sounds way better

1 - 5 of 5 Posts