Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K, so I know this is a SIMPLE process, but figured it could help someone who doesn't know what to do! Changing a bad PCV valve will help you car run cleaner and help with gas mileage!

First here is info on the PCV VALVE.
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve(PCV valve), is a one-way valve that ensures continual evacuation of gases from inside a gasoline internal combustion engine's crankcase. It connects the crankcase to the intake manifold.

Now for the write-up for "D15b8"

1. locate you PCV VALVE

close up

2.Pull it straight out. If its too tight you might need to wedge a flathead under the lip of it and wedge it out.

3. Use pliers or your fingers to pinch the clamp off and pull the PCV valve out of the tubing.

4. Here is what it looks like removed and to find out if its bad, all you do is shake it! If it doesn't rattle then it is bad and needs replaced. or even if it BARELY rattles I would still replace it seeing as its only a $3 part ;)

5. Take the new PCV valve and plug it back into the tubing and apply the clamp. then just plug it back in!

BAM DONE!

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish it was that easy to do on the Y7. Hahaha. I did mine from underneath the car.

That sucks...I thought it was going to be more difficult because I dont know squat about motors lol. I didnt even know where this thing was. So I busted out a manual and learned, just like anything else I have to change on my car!

·
Registered
eg hatch
187 Posts
so how do you know when to check ur pcv valve and what happens if its bad and u don't check/replace it???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how do you know when to check ur pcv valve and what happens if its bad and u don't check/replace it???
Honestly you really don't need to check it that often. but if it has never been replaced I would definetly check it! It won't hurt your motor if its bad but it does hurt your emissions and gas mileage! With it being only a $3-6 part its worth checking and replacing it!

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
You can test it by shaking it...it should rattle quite a bit.

There's also a way you can check it by blowing on the ends...air is supposed to go through one way but not the other. I've forgotten how that one works though. I think if you blow in the bottom the air will escape, but if you blow in the top down it shouldn't escape and if it does it's bad.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
fuck doin it on a y8...

Reactions: icarusdown

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a helpful note, on the CX (at least mine) that elbow you took off is not the PCV Valve, the PCV valve for the CX is located on the black box underneath the intake manifold, that elbow is just a hollow elbow for the hoses to connect. Follow that hose underneath the intake manifold to where the hose connects to the box, the PCV valve should be plugged into it, it is a straight-through style.

*EDIT* I will take some pictures and post them up.

Reactions: 4Door

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ props, i knew it looked tooo f-in easy... enjoy some PR...

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Should we do one for diff engine codes, or just add exceptions? I just did mine on my D15B7 and the actual valve is on the intake manifold. It has a 90 degree bend on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should we do one for diff engine codes, or just add exceptions? I just did mine on my D15B7 and the actual valve is on the intake manifold. It has a 90 degree bend on it.
Yeah, on my B8 it was on the black box under the manifold, and it seems to vary from engine to engine.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just FYI, to test PCV valve operation, pinch the vacuum tube between the PCV and I/M while the engine is running. You can hear it click audibly if working right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.