Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1990 civic cx
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided I wanted to be different and wanted a chargespeed wing but prices were too expensive. So I came up with a brilliant idea(@least I think)...why dont I make a cf wing! So i bought a big piece of cf cloth and started this project. Wanted to go for the OEM look.

Items needed:
-CF cloth(real not tape)
-Palm sander
-Sand paper(coarse grit and fine grit)
-black self-etching primer
-resin
-clearcoat(duplicolor)
-tape
-scissors
-measuring tape
-spray adhesive
-your choice of wing of course(using the ef wing)

1. Remove wing from car.

2. Unscrew bottom plastic piece from wing and remove clips(impossible to not break!!).

3. Clean wing with brake cleaner to remove grease, then wash wing with soap(what ever you use to wash your car).

4. Let the wing sit to dry or dry it off with a clean cloth.

5. Now take your piece of carbon fiber cloth and measure it so its about 2" bigger than your actual wing.

6. Mark your measurements and follow it with tape.

7. Now when your cutting, take your time..you will be cutting throught the middle of the tape.(this prevents it from threading and ruining your whole piece)

8. Now that you have your piece of cf cut to length, test fit it to make sure it works.

9. Shake your black primer on your wing and allow to dry(only use if your wing is not black, i forgot to do this).

10. Now take your spray adhesive, shake away and start by spraying the wing bit by bit while applying the cf down(too much adhesive will result in it drying through the cf and will appear white)

TO BE CONTINUEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1990 civic cx
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

11. After all the cf is layed downwrap the ends and edges around and allow the to dry.

12. After drying is complete, mix your resin and apply a thin coat on top.

13. Now if you have any more cf you can apply another sheet on top if you want.

14. After all that is dry apply another coat..keep repeating this till you have enough to sand down without hitting the cloth itself( i faliled to level it all out).

15. Now plug in your sander and sand away using a coarse grit(60) to level it all out.

16. Start using a higher grit till there are no visible scratches(60,80, 120,200...).

17. Time to smooth it all down and get it to the point where its time to polish.

18. After all that continue by washing the wing off using a damp cloth till theres no more residue left.

19. Time to apply a couple coats of clearcoat.(personal prefrence).

20. And your free to now use your buffer to shine it up!

It took me about 2 days and about 6 coats to finish this..will update after im finished.

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
ahhhh, i want more!! good stuff so far man ,keep it coming

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
yea where did u buy the CF cloth ?? awesome bro awesome!!!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
why did u go with the sticker version ?

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
You can buy sheets of the "stick on" carbon fiber and just clear coat over it.

:: DryCarbonWrap.com
This is carbon fiber VINYL.... I think the stuff he is using is different, Not 100%, but I believe this dry carbon wrap isnt true carbon fiber cloth

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
yea, he's using a fabric and he used a sticky spray hold it together to the wing, but would it have been cheaper to buy the wrap ?

·
Registered
1990 civic cx
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i love you troy.

no homo.

no worries dan..ur comments are much appreciated

Very NICE! Plus rep!

Where did you buy the CF cloth from btw?

I have no idea where to even begin looking to order it from.... Jo-ann's fabrics? lol
got it locally from a friend

So are you just using the original wing as the mold? Or are you wrapping the wing in CF?
I was too lazy to make a mold..plus the wing is alot stronger lol

why did u go with the sticker version ?
its real carbon fiber my friend

So your basically just wraping the OE wing w/CF? And clearing over it...?
pretty much

btw..thanks for all coments!

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
You can get some carbon fiber cloth from ebay.

good DIY :TU:

Yes, this is Cloth of Carbon Fiber Not Carbon Fiber Vinyl. 2 different materials.

One layer will be good enough since you're not doing a Mold. If a mold would have been done, it's better to do it out of regular Fiber Glass and then a sheet layer of Cabon Fiber Glass. ( I like doing stuff like this :biggrin: )

Key here would be a good brush and few coats of Resin do sand down.
Note to all:
this will be A LOT easier on Hot Sunny Days then cold days.
Key here also is clear coat and higher and higher sandpaper as you go.

90jdmcivic,
If you like and if it still looks uneven in areas, you can give it another coat of resin and sand it down again till you reach 2000 grit sandpaper. Then Buff? it will shine like a Brand new penny :TU:

in for more pics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts