Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple and straight forward. First, start with picking out your catch can of choice. I chose a simple, baffled vented aluminum can with 3/8th NPT inlets and outlet.

Second, clean out your factory baffled OEM "black box" and clean the outside of any excess grease/debris. I took the same large fitting I got for the actual can and used it coupled with a large washer so there was no chance of the fitting falling in. JB Weld is perfect to seal up everything here...I use a little bit around the mouth of the hole to begin with because it is not perfectly flat. Here's where the washer comes in handy too, for proper sealing. Then as shown below cover the bottom of the fitting and washer handily with the JB mixture.

Third, take your VC and cut off the stock "blow-by" port and drill out to your desired size. If done correctly and with the right fitting you can utilize the stock vc baffling and drill right into it and install straight through to it. Bingo!

Catch can - eBay ($75 shipped)
Block box - free (from off the block)
Spare vc - free (unless you don't have an extra)
Fittings - McMaster.com (QTY of 5 for $12 shipped)
"Block box" seal - $1-2 (dealership item)
Misc - clamps and Lowes braided clear hose (price unknown, haven't purchased them yet)

I'll be using this setup on my 400whp (goal) turbo setup...I'm confident I'll have adequate flow and will follow-up with results afterwards.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
Sick writeup! I was hoping I could somehow come up with a way to not have to mess with the vc and YOU sir have done that for me! Repped :)

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
Looks good. I did my blackbox the same way. I personally put another hole on the other side of the valve cover because I didnt know if the drivers side of the motor blowby could escape as easily as the passengers side.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Why do you have to cut off the stock blowby port on the valve cover? Why cant you use the one thats already there?

+ rep tho! :TU:
Because it is small I am guessing. Nice write up rep for you!!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
well i was talking to Chris the other day about J.B Weld. even tho J.B.Weld claims that you can fix a gas tank. but chris said was it doesn't tell you it a tempoery fix and that gas will eventualy deteriorated the J.B. Weld. is it true or not i can't say, but the black box is just a OEM catch can. just delete it dan you already have a small catch can. it'll do the samething. just in a access able area to drain you can reach. but thats me.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Bingo! If you're WHP goals are in the 200s, then you'll be fine with the stock one. But 400WHP? It needs max flow...thus the MUCH larger port/fitting.
think one port is enough though??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good write up, I wish there was one of these a long time ago before I did alot of pointless reading. This setup will be perfect for the average turbo D.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
honda
82 Posts
im runnin a D16a6 carburetor now, since i notice the black box behind the block it connected to my intake manifolds rite? can you post some picture of a complete installation, thanks:yes:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^No idea...bought it off a local member/friend here, but I'll see whether he has any idea cuz I'd like to do the cam gear in that color.

BTW everyone, I removed the charcoal canister now and will probably be placing the catch can in its place soon and routing catch can lines. Updated pics will follow!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts