Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Im new at this but this is just a little background 1st...

Well I just picked up a 95 EG dx 5 spd for 2000.00 from my father-in-law. The car has 84,000 miles on it and right now the know problems are:

Replace bad cv axles
Tune-Up
Rear Brakes
Timing Belt and Water Pump(coming up soon)
Fuel System Flush
New Hood ( had a small Accident)
Headlights

Now I have started to do my research on this page on how I want to build and the reason i have went the way of JDM is because it's a clean look(can't stand rice look) I have a few ideas but I dont want to get to set on anything until I research this whole web site. I want to do this build mostly all DIY but I know there are something i will not be able to do such at the cv axles rear brakes timing belt and fuel system flush and stuff like that because I dont have the tools or the garage to pull it off. I've broken down the 5 areas of my build :

Engine
Handling
Interior
Exterior
Sound System

This current D15b7 sucks. I dont want to do a swap for Im a father, husband and a full time college student right now. Ideas go to mini me conv or a D16z6 swap( in which I will again have to pay a shop to do the swap but I can DIY the Mini-Me) Right now and will be a daily driver to get me back and forth from work to school and daily things. So if its anything that will take sometime I will only pull of on the weekend. But I just want to start this project off right and I know with you guys help and can pull it off right THE 1ST TIME....I'll post question and take picks this weekend. my 1st area of focus in the ENGINE.

Now I about to get the parts for a mini-me swap and soon after the parts for the boost. I've read and search about this before I went this route with a mini me on my d15b7 and then boost it 5 -6 psi. Now when ive read about tuning the engine after I do this stuff. Now should I take it to a shop to get that done and what does that tuning conset of and what do I need to do after I do both the mini-me and the boost....thanks for the help

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
I have a feeling all of this is going to cost you a lot more than you are expecting. And if you're relying on someone else to do all the work for you, why would you want to tune it yourself? I'd say reanalyze the situation.

Father, College and Car. Pick two.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean trust me I understand where you are coming from. That is why it's been so hard to work on it now. I mean I was just going to save for a 2006 civic si that I will be able to get maybe in 2 years once im done with school.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Imo u should 1st get a helm's book read it then get standard tools. If u still feel unsure of doing some of the work yourself then bring it to a mechanic and help him install or fix whats wrong w/ the car.

It would help alot if u had family members or friends that can show u how to do the job.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
IMO I would rather swap the Z6 in rather than do a mini-me. I mean if you have the skills to do a mini-me than IMO an engine swap shouldn't be that much harder for you.

Also when you do stuff yourself you learn about the process. I can completely relate to you as I too am a father, husband, and will be going back to school this year to finish my degree. It's hard to find time to do things, I know trust me. This time last year my $250 hatch was sitting with a D15B1 that had a broken timing belt. In the past year I bought a DOHC ZC tore it down, rebuilt it with forged internals, re-assembled it and put it in. This weekend I will finally, providing nothing goes wrong, be able to start her up. I have learned a lot but I still have a lot more to learn.

In any case good luck with your build!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have to watch it because this is my daily driver and if I do anything wrong then im in trouble because this gets me to work, school which is every day and more then 20 miles away and there is not pubilc transpotation out here where i stay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts