Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My way to a very cheap velocity stack and a mesh turbo intake filter screen

First I ate some mushrooms, and started thinking.

I came to the conclusion that I wanted to put a velocity stack on my car, but then realized I have no room to mount any conventional ones that require a coupler. I dont have enough space.

Im also very cheap.

The OD of my turbos intake was 3.1" I just happened to have a regular non reinforced blue silicone coupler off an old cheap intake, 2.75". This one was thin Im sure you could get an even better result with a thicker coupler, which I will definetely be hunting for now.

The next part is the hardest part, with the coupler in your hands, you have to fold the coupler over itself, its a pretty good fight especially if the coupler is good quality, I warmed mine up and it made it easier.

Then take you ring and slide it over the turbo, with the radius'ed side out obviously, flat side against the turbo

Could drive around just like that if you felt the need, to me it adds a nice smooth radius, and in my situation worked perfectly at not adding any length. And better yet, I still havent spent a cent on this mod yet

If you dont have a coupler laying around Im sure home depot/lowes or Egay would have something for under $10

For the filter I bought a stainless steel bacon screen at the dollar store (was $2.25) it was like 13" round and had a good looking tight stainless mesh. At home I cut the mesh away from the frame with a pair of regular sciccors

To get the shape of the mesh screen, hold the screen against the front of the turbo, and bend it over with your hands tightly, it should retain the shape of the velocity stack tube. Take your time with this step and dont cut to much of the mesh off at once, it took me some trimming again only with house scissors so it was pretty easy.

A thick stainless worm clamp from HomeDepot for less than a dollar is very handy at not only holding your mesh filter tightly, but helps tidy up the install as it hides your mesh cut line.

Man those mushrooms lasted a while

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHA No shrooms here, but those things are all over the trees around here I took that pic

At the very least I was drunk and stoned doing this mod though

Now that ive driven the car, the turbo is actually audible, I couldnt hear it at all before, but now it has a light whistle while slightly accelerating, pretty cool!

I bought a 6mm 3" silicone non reinforced coupler off ebay, should be good and thick and offer a 1/2" radius which will be perfect :kiss:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts